Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
69 Baywindow Resurrection- The time has come!
Rear brake cylinders are different.  I'll assume the Girling is original, and the ind bras is a Brazilian replacement at some point. 

Pretty sure this is the original master cylinder. 

Saturday I got the front brakes pulled apart.
I posted it over here...
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=170
Hopefully my bumbling description might help other early bay or late split owners dismantle their brakes someday.
A parcel arrived from Mick Motors yesterday....

Woohoo, the Bay will get a new chin!

Got a price today for rebuilding the original brake cylinders. They mostly resleeve the bores. Looks like I can buy all new for ⅔ the price. Still deciding what to do.
(15-07-2022, 08:41 PM)Wombatventures Wrote: Got a price today for rebuilding the original brake cylinders. They mostly resleeve the bores. Looks like I can buy all new for ⅔ the price. Still deciding what to do.

Personally, I’d replace them with new…..
They’re cheap enough and ultimately you’ll be at the mercy of whomever refurbishes the originals.
Not many folks have the skills to do this work any more….and when you find them, it’s expensive !
Labour costs here are the enemy !
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(17-07-2022, 09:19 AM)Oldman Wrote: Personally, I’d replace them with new…..
They’re cheap enough and ultimately you’ll be at the mercy of whomever refurbishes the originals.
Not many folks have the skills to do this work any more….and when you find them, it’s expensive !
Labour costs here are the enemy !

That's the way I'm thinking as well Mark.
Will try Vintage Vee Dub this week for some prices. Miick Motors don't have a Master Cylinder in stockso will see what they have.
PBR have quoted about the same for doing my Master Cylinder as what the average price is for one so I might go that way yet.
See what I find.
Anyone had any experience with Forst brake parts. VW Heritage carry them as well as Varga. About half the price but I'm assuming that also means half the quality.

Even been thinking about this as an option.
Whole back in a package....
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/au/2...l-kit.html
Whole front in a package...
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/au/2...l-kit.html

I've never dealt with VW Heritage so not sure what they are like.
Hi - you could try Tooley Imports in Sydney for the brake parts. Theyre up in Frenches Forest.
Gordon
All Air Cooled
www.allaircooled.com.au
We carry stock of Blazecut, Air Cooled Accessories, Wolfsburg West, Buttys Bits, Wolfgang International, Silver Weld Through Panels, Geek Shack, Grumpys metal in Australia and ship anywhere..
(18-07-2022, 11:26 AM)Ted Wrote: Hi - you could try Tooley Imports in Sydney for the brake parts. Theyre up in Frenches Forest.

Thanks Gordon, I'll look them up.

After a couple of busy weekends I finally got a chance to get some work done on the bus.
First  I had a little dig at the drivers side dogleg...

Found the stripper disc that has been hiding for a fair while...

And gave it a bit of a sand...

Outside looks like a small repair but the inner panel is gunna take a bit.
Then I had a play with the A Pillar.

Looks like a fair chunk of work to do once the windscreen is out.

I didn't get the contact saved from the old forum for replacement A Pillars. Anyone haven email or phone number for him?
The whole Pillar will need some love...

Something that Keith Poole explained to me makes sense. Our Busses weren't designed to have people sleeping in them. The condensation from when we do runs down the insides of the pillars. That's the biggest reason why they rust in the pillars....

Then the day got real...
Taking paint off is scary....
Cutting your bus is way worse...

Some inner panel work to patch.

And a small hole in the inner guard.

Have some bits cut already. Hopefully make a start during the week before I go chasing lambs again next Sunday.

The inside always looks worse than the outside...

So I cleaned it all up as best as I could and gave it a good dose of rust converter...

What weld through primers do you recommend. Do I go copper or galv? I want to give it all a good coating before I fire up the TIG.
(18-07-2022, 11:26 AM)Ted Wrote: Hi - you could try Tooley Imports in Sydney for the brake parts. Theyre up in Frenches Forest.

X 2 for Tooleys…. Big Grin
Often overlooked,…… they have a vast range of quality stock.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light