Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
69 Baywindow Resurrection- The time has come!
May 15
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....
Well 2011 to be exact, and Maitland on Yorke Peninsula, SA a girl called Bec decided the kombi she was looking at was going to be hers!

And so it was brought home to Peterborough.

A small bit of Disassembly began and then life and several other projects got in the way! Most of which also have not been completed!

May 15
I'll jump forward to 2022 coz watching a non rolling Kombi gather moss is boring...

Way back in 2011 I joined the Kombiclub while trying to learn about Becs Kombi. No regrets in that. 
But hearing that Busstop is to be in SA in 2023 made this little black duck think about pulling his thumb out his butt and trying to get the Kombi to Strathalbyn! So here goes!

Today she moved! [Image: clear.png]
Under her own steam![Image: clear.png]
After at least 5 years without being started, a charged battery, some carby cleaner in the intake, and some fuel. She fired up and even idled.
The first few inches were the hardest, after several attempts to find reverse!

But she moved...

Not far, but now I can fill in some dog trenches and move some junk and get her into a spot to start work......[Image: clear.png][Image: clear.png]
Quote:May 15
There is some rust to repair...

I have replacement inner panel, need to get an outer lower.

Passenger dogleg

Drivers dogleg

Drivers rear

Both A pillars need some love.

(01-07-2022, 06:08 PM)Oldman Wrote: mmmm…..can’t see your pics.
Are they under 500kb ?
That’s the site’s maximum limit

Might be the way I'm doing it Mark.
Will try restarting the post

Just checked on my phone. Pics coming up there.
Can you check again please before I move anymore.
Must be a long time ago at $1950.
PR
(01-07-2022, 06:28 PM)KIWI Wrote: Must be a long time ago at $1950.
PR

Was in 2011 Kiwi.
Are the pics coming up for you?
I can see the first two but no others.
PR
May 15
Have already got a new windscreen rubber so will replace that and repair around the screen. Better practice my TIG welding!
The plan is to get the majority of the body repairs sorted and blend them in with the original patina. Get the mechanicals sorted...
1. Brakes - need those. 
2. Wiring and lights - probably a good idea.
3. Engine service - currently a Beetle 1600 as the previous owner put that in because the original motor was rattly. Its in the load bay and will get a rebuild later.
4. Trans Service - be nice to find some gears!
5. Interior- sort out to get it drivable. Will worry about a camping setup once it's reliable. Including putting a new cloth in the poptop.
6. Restoration- once it's on the road!
May 24
7 days at home from last night.[Image: clear.png]

Now let's see what I get done!
[Image: clear.png]
Have no choice in being home so making the most of it. So far today has been clearing work space. Hopefully tomorrow I might even get to jack it up and take a look underneath to start planning the week's work.

May 25
So the day started with rain... so I worked in the carport sorting out my tool bench and some accumulated bits. Not a bad effort but not Kombi work. Then when the rain buggered off I tidied up the area around the Kombi some more. Including filling in the giant rabbit (read kelpie) holes and moving the tank that will hopefully soon become a carport for the topless Beetle.

So finally I pumped up the tires again and got the Kombi fired up and worked at moving it. That is until she refused to run anymore and I found a very wet fuel pump. The end of the hose had perished a bit so I cut it off, re attached and promptly ran out of fuel. Which I can't go and get!
So stole some fuel from another car and by knockoff I had moved the Kombi through 90⁰ and about 10 feet!

Tomorrow I'll jack it up, maybe pull a wheel off and look into the brakes. Take a look underneath and start the list!
Without 'Rona this would be next months progress!

Things that need doing that I have already spotted so far...
Engine bay rubber
Gear shift bushing
Heater/air knobs
Window winder handles
Brakes

May 26
On jack stands this morning once the drizzle buggered off. Bit of a crawl around underneath.
Gear linkage will need a clean!

Box and motor will be up for a bath too!

Looks like someone jacked where they shouldn't have. Both sides have this dent...

Otherwise underneath has minimal surface rust.

Bit of a clean out inside. Popped the lid...

Will need a new canvas...

Cab floor is pretty good. No rust to cut.

Will need a bit of work in the passenger step though...

Reckon I'll leave the back hood lining for now.

Original motor is in the load bay. Previous owner swapped for a Beetle motor as there was a rattle. Will work on this one down the track.

Only rust I've found in the load bay. Might be an interesting job cutting and replacing this bit.

Rust in the passengers front wheel arch. Should be simple enough.

One job I did way back when we brought the Kombi home was to take off the front bumper. I even cleaned up the mounts and painted them with hammer finish!

The bumper ends/ step plates had some weird mods...

Will need to knock that back into place and weld them up.
Already did a bit of straightening on one
Before

After

Spent the arvo pulling wheels off. Started with the drivers front...
Time for new ball joints I reckon..

Did a bit of cleaning...

That looks better...

Brake drums look good...

Gave them a sandpaper service...

Will service or replace the bearings when I do the brakes. Not sure whether to get the brake cylinders rebuilt or replace them. Will ring the brake mob I know in Adelaide tomorrow. I think original rebuilt would be good, but might be pricey.

Pretty sure these are original...

Adjusters still move. Needs a new boot.
Did the other side as well.

The reservoir definitely needs replacing...

And the master cylinder will need rebuilding or replacing...

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

May 27
Lot of other yard jobs today but did have a dig and a go with the wire wheel. Quite a chunk of rust around it..