Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dismantling Early Bay Front Brakes
To begin with I'm no expert so this is just me showing what I've done.

So our Bay is  69 and I'm hoping to get the wheel cylinders overhauled by PBR in Adelaide. 
First crack the wheel nuts before jacking up the van, it just makes life easier. Then again I don't use a rattle gun.
Jack up the van, put it on a jack stand  - safety first!
Remove the wheel...
And now we can start the real job.

So remove the bearing cap...except on the passengers side which I didn't photograph, where first you have to remove the speedo cable retaining clip, then remove the bearing cap. 

Back off the brake adjusters, through the little hole provided by Volkswagen, with a brake adjusters tool ( I couldn't find mine) or a screw driver. There is an adjuster star wheel top and bottom on the front as it is twin leading shoe.

Undo the Allen bolt in the hub nut... 6mm

The hub nut on the drivers side is left hand thread, on the passengers its right hand thread.
With this removed the brake drum should come off with the wheelbearing and bearing retaining washer. (Don't drop them in the dirt!)

This leaves everything exposed for you to see the condition of the pads, cylinders and drum.

To remove the wheel cylinders you need to disconnect the brake line.
This is a bit more involved than you'd think. 
To take the flexible brake line off the top cylinder you can either disassemble the brake shoes, springs, connecting brake line between the cylinders and remove the retaining bolts (crack the flexible line with a 14mm spanner first) then turn the brake cylinder off the line....
But the way I've done it because I want to replace the flexible lines anyway is to disconnect the flexible line first.
Turns out the line is a 17mm and the flare nut is 11mm

Disconnect the hard line first is what I was taught years ago. Then remove the retaining clip.

Pop the flexible line out of the retaining hook on the back of the spindle arm.

Crack the line with a 14mm spanner  and wind the flexible line out of the back of the wheel cylinder .

To remove the brake shoes I find it easiest to pry the end of the shoe out of the top or bottom star adjuster slot with a big screwdriver. This let's you take the shoes and springs off in one big lump. Note which way the springs go.

Wheel cylinder removal.

To get at the flare nuts on the connecting line between the 2 cylinders you have to remove the star adjuster. Pop it out with a screwdriver if it doesn't come out by hand.

Remove the connecting line

Unbolt the cylinders. The bolts are 13mm.

With all this removed I took off the backing plate to have a good look at the ball joints. 

They definitely will be replaced when I put all this back together as will be new wheel bearings and flexible brake lines, this one was blocked up so I'm tipping its buggered

The cylinders hopefully will come up Ok with an overhauled by PBR, otherwise I'll put new ones on.

Any opinions on brands?
Very well constructed thread.
Ate is the original brand if you can get them ,which can be difficult.  Vargo or TRW which I thing TRW brought out Vargo, which isn't as good as Ate. Vargo master cylinders have been around for years and are pretty good, as you had trouble getting Ate.

p.s you also have Girling another original brand which I haven't seen much in Australia.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Seems I have a Girling and a Varga on the back wheels.

The fronts seem to be Varga on the passenger side.

On the drivers side it was one Varga and not sure what the other is.

Is it worth chasing up another Varga for the front, and a Varga or a Girling for the back. That's if these ones are even serviceable. 
Need flexible hoses as well, will see what PBR have to offer.
I'd be trying to match the brands on each corner or @ least same on both sides @ front and same @ rear.

These front ones Rolleyes  - https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay...-1970.html

JKA also got brake lines and rear cylinders if PBR can't help.

Expect Mick would have some also  Wink
Huh 52 years involved with NoH2O and H2O Volkswagens
(15-07-2022, 06:56 AM)Kahuna Kombi Wrote: I'd be trying to match the brands on each corner or @ least same on both sides @ front and same @ rear.

These front ones Rolleyes  - https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay...-1970.html

JKA also got brake lines and rear cylinders if PBR can't help.

Expect Mick would have some also  Wink
That's the way I'm thinking Bert. Going to put the word out to a couple of contacts to see if they have a girling or varga rear cylinder worth rebuilding and try to find one more drivers side varga. If PBR don't think the ones I've got are worth rebuilding I'll by new ones.
Going to send them off today to see what they think.
I've rebuilt Holden ones myself over the years but would rather get all of these done spot on.
(15-07-2022, 07:28 AM)Wombatventures Wrote: That's the way I'm thinking Bert. Going to put the word out to a couple of contacts to see if they have a girling or varga rear cylinder worth rebuilding and try to find one more drivers side varga. If PBR don't think the ones I've got are worth rebuilding I'll by new ones.
Going to send them off today to see what they think.
I've rebuilt Holden ones myself over the years but would rather get all of these done spot on.
I'll be interested to see whether PBR live in the rebuild or remove and replace world of today.
PR