Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre replacement
I know a lot of the passenger tyre load ratings in that size are close to the minimum load rating allowed on a Kombi, and if you are a camper loaded up you may even tip over it so you need to make sure what you choose fits the purpose.

I had Bridgestone Super Cat passenger tyres (had a acceptable load rating and were good value, designed for falcons and commodores) for many years and they were quite acceptable, but when they wore out I changed over to the LT version of the same tyre with a much higher load rating and have been quite amazed at how much better ride and cornering they were.  As others have said the stiffer sidewall helps a lot.

Cheers

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(04-04-2024, 08:34 AM)Mordred Wrote: I know a lot of the passenger tyre load ratings in that size are close to the minimum load rating allowed on a Kombi, and if you are a camper loaded up you may even tip over it so you need to make sure what you choose fits the purpose.

I had Bridgestone Super Cat passenger tyres (had a acceptable load rating and were good value, designed for falcons and commodores) for many years and they were quite acceptable, but when they wore out I changed over to the LT version of the same tyre with a much higher load rating and have been quite amazed at how much better ride and cornering they were.  As others have said the stiffer sidewall helps a lot.

Cheers

Adrian
Totally agree, have been running on LTs now for a number of years now , what tyre pressures do run at ,?
(11-04-2024, 03:48 AM)Chris Taylor Wrote: Totally agree, have been running on LTs now for a number of years now , what tyre pressures do run at ,?

I run pretty loaded most of the time so use 30 front and 40 rear.  The standard pressures are pretty close to that.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
Maximum rear axle weight shown in the 1977 owners handbook is 1400 kg, so I guess that means tyres should probably be rated for at least 700kg each. The Ecopias are load index 102 which means 850 kg per tyre so all good there. Load rating 95 is 690 kg so it would be good to be higher than that.
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla