Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre replacement
I currently have 185R/65C 100/102R light truck KUMHO 7(14inch), I am looking at replacing, should I stick with light truck or go to Radial car tyres?
(06-02-2024, 08:38 AM)73Kombi Wrote: I currently have 185R/65C 100/102R light truck KUMHO 7(14inch), I am looking at replacing, should I stick with light truck or go to Radial car tyres?

Not sure on others preference, but we’ve had 3 kombis and I put Toyo light truck on all of them. And did the same with the 2 Toyota that we also have had.
Cheers Brian and Cathy
I run steel belted radials. Currently Hancook Optimo K715
195/75 R14 
One of the few in that genre that will take the rear tyre pressure I like to run...44psi.
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Open can'o worms here……… Big Grin

Everyone has their preference.
My two bob’s worth ? 
I agree with Brian….Toyo LT tyres.
I run stock 185x 14’s on my Sopru Campmobile.
Nice, stiff sidewall assists/minimises tyre sidewall roll and helps keep a stable ride….
Same could be said for a low profile passenger tyre…..
However, LT’s are better suited to loads…….like a fully loaded Camper on a long run......exactly what I want mine to do.
I’ve experienced exceptionally long life and have been very happy with my Toyo’s.

I’m sure others will share their thoughts.
All depends on the type of use your kombi will get……..
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
My 2c

Toyo trucks for my stock(ish) bay running standard 14” steelies. 

My T3 has Pirellis on 17” x 7” rims

Comfort………the Bay. Hands down. 

Handling and road grip……. T3 by a light year
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Bridgestone R623

https://www.bridgestone.com.au/product/11001394
I bought some Bridgestone Ecopia R710's for Layla the 71, but I can't tell you how good they are because Layla is a work in progress and I hardly drive her. They look okay and have all the right ratings for what it's worth. 

I'm interested in those R623's though. Harry the 76 Campmobile is due for tyres so will consider those.

Ecopia R710's
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
(06-02-2024, 02:50 PM)DavidH Wrote: One of the few in that genre that will take the rear tyre pressure I like to run...44psi.

Just a question. Why do you like to run 44psi? Is it heavily loaded?
(07-02-2024, 07:05 AM)syncro Wrote: Just a question. Why do you like to run 44psi? Is it heavily loaded?

Just the recommended pressure for a loaded kombi & I reckon a Sopru camper is loaded.
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
(06-02-2024, 08:05 PM)Mr Beckstar Wrote: I bought some Bridgestone Ecopia R710's for Layla the 71, but I can't tell you how good they are because Layla is a work in progress and I hardly drive her. They look okay and have all the right ratings for what it's worth. 

I'm interested in those R623's though. Harry the 76 Campmobile is due for tyres so will consider those.

Ecopia R710's

I bought Ecopia's for Harry and did the run down to Merimbula. They worked great. But I can only compare with the tyres I took off which were made in 2001 and were clearly not at their best.
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla