Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
too much play in steering wheel
You can see the bash pan on the left

Mine is a 1976

76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
…….and one of Rick’s steering boxes too.
Looks just like mine !
Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Your photo's don't show enough of the vital parts, to give you a good assessment of what might be wrong with your front end. 
The oil dripping from the front beam is an indication of old grease that is separating and that your front beam hasn't been greased for a while and should be done more regularly. There is 5 grease nibbles on the front end, one in the front middle, one at either end of the front beam on the back side of the tubes.
It looks like your handbrake has been adjusted tighter more on one side then the other.
Not being rude here but it looks like your front end hasn't seen a spanner for quite a while. As one bolt I see looks like an original castle nut with a split pin through it. As when you buy drag link etc they normally come with nylon lock nut these days.
I personally recommend your front end get a full overhaul.
4 ball joints 
1 fixed tie rod
1 adjustable tie rod
1 drag link
1 idle arm pin
1 steering dampener
2 new sway bar bushes
1 steering coupler
1 steering box 
4 torsion arm seals
2 inner front wheel bearings 
2 outer front wheel bearings
You may also have broken leaf springs inside front beam torsion tubes.
4 needle bearings inside torsion tubes.
Also you should look at shocks and the list can go on, if I missed something.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(20-12-2023, 06:38 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: Your photo's don't show enough of the vital parts, to give you a good assessment of what might be wrong with your front end. 
The oil dripping from the front beam is an indication of old grease that is separating and that your front beam hasn't been greased for a while and should be done more regularly. There is 5 grease nibbles on the front end, one in the front middle, one at either end of the front beam on the back side of the tubes.
It looks like your handbrake has been adjusted tighter more on one side then the other.
Not being rude here but it looks like your front end hasn't seen a spanner for quite a while. As one bolt I see looks like an original castle nut with a split pin through it. As when you buy drag link etc they normally come with nylon lock nut these days.
I personally recommend your front end get a full overhaul.
4 ball joints 
1 fixed tie rod
1 adjustable tie rod
1 drag link
1 idle arm pin
1 steering dampener
2 new sway bar bushes
1 steering coupler
1 steering box 
4 torsion arm seals
2 inner front wheel bearings 
2 outer front wheel bearings
You may also have broken leaf springs inside front beam torsion tubes.
4 needle bearings inside torsion tubes.
Also you should look at shocks and the list can go on, if I missed something.

hi mate

what type of greese do you use
(28-12-2023, 09:29 AM)kombiPOP Wrote: hi mate

Multi-purpose grease

https://www.justkampers.com.au/side-leve...e-kit.html
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(28-12-2023, 09:29 AM)kombiPOP Wrote: hi mate

Use either General purpose grease or wheel bearing grease.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
ive determined the drag link is shot, it actually pops up and down when i turn the wheel and makes a knock sound, hopefully get one this week

iv attached photo of the steering box, theres a wire there i think i pulled out when attempting to clean it, it goes back in but its loose
iv marked in yellow where it goes (i think)

is it supposed to be in there tight or connect some how ???

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

is the horn ??? just googled it
It looks like the negative horn wire. Which goes from the bottom of your steering column. It should be a firm push on fitting not a loose one. It is a real b1*#H to get on the wire to the bottom of the steering column. As the wire should go through a metal loop inside base plate, at the bottom of the steering column on the inside and then onto a push on terminal on the bottom of the column. The terminal at the bottom of the steering column is often broken off and needs to be replaced to make the horn work or as people do reroute the wire. That same wire then should run to the horn itself. I don't see the other wire that runs down the centre of the steering column shaft and goes onto the inside of the steering coupler bolt hole under the washer, on the steering box side.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute