Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
too much play in steering wheel
hi guys

my steering wheel has heaps of play, i can turn a quarter before it actually turns, someone told me ages ago that theres something i can replace to fix it but i dont know what its called or how to do it.

any help would be great

cliff
Hi Cliff, could be all sorts of issues there........including:
1. Steering box adjustment, or clapped out steering box
2. Cracked/perished steering coupling (it's a rubber connection between steering column and steering box.....often overlooked)
3. Worn tie rods
4. Worn Pitman arm 

Grab yourself a Bentley manual and familiarise yourself with the bits otherwise you're at the mercy of whomever you deal with.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Idler arm and the bushes as well , ball joints.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Find yourself a willing and patient helper - have them rock the steering wheel side-to-side, while you are under the Bus looking for items that have excessive play.  If there is one particularly bad component in the the steering system, this may help to identify it.
As mentioned above by Oldman - get access to a good workshop manual (e.g. the Bentley Manual) that discusses how to remove, inspect, and replace steering system items. You can then judge if it is something you want to tackle yourself.
1971 Sopru aka Doob
If you want to know what it was - change one thing at a time and test drive.

Or do THE LOT at once
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
i went under the bus and had my son rock the steering wheel, nothing moved untill the steering was turned half way either side, there is a knock when turned right, theres a bit of oil showing but i cant see any drips on ground, first photos and some photos of other stuff incase someone can see something wrong

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cliff

Not sure what year you bus is, but how far is the adjusting screw stick out on the steering box?

On a late bay it is the little screw & lock nut on the right

76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
if you need a steering box you know where to come
(19-12-2023, 06:50 PM)Barry Wrote: Cliff

Not sure what year you bus is, but how far is the adjusting screw stick out on the steering box?

On a late bay it is the little screw & lock nut on the right

where is steering box located, im learning as i go
Ask someone for a Bentley manual for Christmas..... Tongue
It will make your life so much easier !!

Steering box is below the driver's floor pan, attached to the steering column by means of a flexible rubber/urethane coupling (four bolts)
It's just outside the driver's side, front corner of the bash pan that protects the clutch and accelerator linkages.
No need to remove the bash pan to see the steering box.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light