Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T2 Transmission
'' The thing with the flange seals is strange. The old ones were 67 x 40 x 10, and the new ones are 67 x 40 x 18, It's the depth that's giving me problems ''

Have you tried a regular parts store? They can usually look up seal sizes - or a bearing supply store.
Failing that, Honda 91201-ZG3-003 is a lawnmower 67x40x10 oil seal - Honda dealer might have one (there's a few online too if you google that part no)...

Incidentally the new seal you have sounds like an early Holden/Ford diff pinion seal...
Garth

Before you criticize someone try walking a mile in their shoes - that way when you do criticize them you're a mile away and you've got their shoes!
(27-01-2023, 12:23 PM)gazman Wrote: '' The thing with the flange seals is strange. The old ones were 67 x 40 x 10, and the new ones are 67 x 40 x 18, It's the depth that's giving me problems ''

Have you tried a regular parts store? They can usually look up seal sizes - or a bearing supply store.
Failing that, Honda 91201-ZG3-003 is a lawnmower 67x40x10 oil seal - Honda dealer might have one (there's a few online too if you google that part no)...

Incidentally the new seal you have sounds like an early Holden/Ford diff pinion seal...

I did try CBC Bearings and they had a 67 x 40 x 7, but I thought I might hold off a bit until I had a bit more information. Incidentally, is there any way of telling if it's the original gearbox or if it's out of some thing else?

Mark
(27-01-2023, 06:08 AM)Oldman Wrote: Have you tried Tooley Imports ?

No, I'd never heard of them. Thanks for that, I'll give them a look.

Mark
(27-01-2023, 10:50 AM)Mordred Wrote: BTW, just remember when looking for parts for your kombi and basing it on a particular year that, especially with engines, gearboxes and their components, there has been many years between them being in the factory and what you have now, and there could have been a number of changes with parts being used from different years and wrecks.  Unless you have had it since new it is likely somewhere along the way there has been some changes you may not know about, and some parts only slighty different but may not fit all versions of the same unit.

Adrian

I think I'm probably the 10th owner of this poor old girl lol. She's had quite a few repairs in the past. I do know the last owner [friend of mine] had a reco motor put in, but not being mechanically inclined, all he could tell me about it was that it cost him 5 grand.....so even the motor's a bit of a mystery to me.....

Mark
(27-01-2023, 03:39 PM)Mark D Wrote: No, I'd never heard of them. Thanks for that, I'll give them a look.

Mark

Tooleys stock heaps of VW parts for all manner of models...and not just the newer stuff.
Richard is my go to guy, he's been really helpful in the past.

https://www.tooleyimports.com.au
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(26-01-2023, 01:05 PM)Mark D Wrote: Hi all. Today I started on my first adventure into Kombi gearboxes and I've come across a problem.  I bought a few bits and pieces to tidy it up, one being a replacement nosecone bush. The old bush came out easily, but the new one took a bit of persuasion to get in using a tube dolly and hammer. Now the selector rod is locked solid. I can't move it even with the help of a pair of vice grips. So I can't imagine that's a good thing. 

So I suppose I'll have to remove the nosecone. I was hoping someone could advise me on what to expect, i.e. bits jumping out at me, potential damages etc. 
   Also, the new flange seals are twice as thick as the old ones and absolutely refuse to seat all the way in. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
                                                             Mark.

Yes, the new flange seals are deeper than the originals. They superseded the thinner ones due to fitting issues by techs and that most of them did not use the correct flange seal installing drift.

Just install the new ones.

In regard to the hockey stick, repro bushes are all over the place. You will need to finish-ream the ones you have to get a good sliding fit, or buy better ones.
(26-01-2023, 03:08 PM)KIWI Wrote: There are 2 sizes - 17mm (top) and 16.6mm (bottom). Do you have the correct size?
Check by measuring, not part number.

Just read the rest of your post and guess what?
2 sizes of flange seals as well so...
Check by measuring.
PR

Agreed, 69-75 have the 16.7mm nose cone bushes, earlier the 17.0.