Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T2 Transmission
Hi all. Today I started on my first adventure into Kombi gearboxes and I've come across a problem.  I bought a few bits and pieces to tidy it up, one being a replacement nosecone bush. The old bush came out easily, but the new one took a bit of persuasion to get in using a tube dolly and hammer. Now the selector rod is locked solid. I can't move it even with the help of a pair of vice grips. So I can't imagine that's a good thing. 

So I suppose I'll have to remove the nosecone. I was hoping someone could advise me on what to expect, i.e. bits jumping out at me, potential damages etc. 
   Also, the new flange seals are twice as thick as the old ones and absolutely refuse to seat all the way in. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
                                                             Mark.
(26-01-2023, 01:05 PM)Mark D Wrote: Hi all. Today I started on my first adventure into Kombi gearboxes and I've come across a problem.  I bought a few bits and pieces to tidy it up, one being a replacement nosecone bush. The old bush came out easily, but the new one took a bit of persuasion to get in using a tube dolly and hammer. Now the selector rod is locked solid. I can't move it even with the help of a pair of vice grips. So I can't imagine that's a good thing. 

So I suppose I'll have to remove the nosecone. I was hoping someone could advise me on what to expect, i.e. bits jumping out at me, potential damages etc. 
   Also, the new flange seals are twice as thick as the old ones and absolutely refuse to seat all the way in. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
                                                             Mark.

There are 2 sizes - 17mm (top) and 16.6mm (bottom). Do you have the correct size?
Check by measuring, not part number.

Just read the rest of your post and guess what?
2 sizes of flange seals as well so...
Check by measuring.
PR
(26-01-2023, 03:08 PM)KIWI Wrote: There are 2 sizes - 17mm (top) and 16.6mm (bottom). Do you have the correct size?
Check by measuring, not part number.

Just read the rest of your post and guess what?
2 sizes of flange seals as well so...
Check by measuring.
PR

The problem is that it's the only flange seal listed anywhere for my Kombi. The later one has a different ID and OD.
(26-01-2023, 03:38 PM)Mark D Wrote:   The problem is that it's the only flange seal listed anywhere for my Kombi. The later one has a different ID and OD.

Give Just Kampers a call and quote the dimensions.
Mine was J31218 (002-301-189/C), not to be confused with J31217 (091-301-189).
I think the dimensions are 42mm x 67mm x 17.6mm for the 002-301-189/C, and 42mm x 72mm x15mm for the 091-301-189 but happy to stand corrected.

If you remove the gearshift housing nothing will fall out that can't be fixed.
You'll need a new gasket (NLA) or I can make one for you.
While it's apart replace the 004-301-241/A Ball joint - shift lever, inner (often called the hockey stick pivot ball) and the rear bush (001-301-207). Again make sure you get the correct size 16.6mm vs 17mm.

Make sure that you can select all gears WITHOUT using vise grips before tightening the nuts holding the gearshift housing. This may take a bit of fiddling to get right.
PR
(26-01-2023, 05:42 PM)KIWI Wrote: Give Just Kampers a call and quote the dimensions.
Mine was J31218 (002-301-189/C), not to be confused with J31217 (091-301-189).
I think the dimensions are 42mm x 67mm x 17.6mm for the 002-301-189/C, and 42mm x 72mm x15mm for the 091-301-189 but happy to stand corrected.

If you remove the gearshift housing nothing will fall out that can't be fixed.
You'll need a new gasket (NLA) or I can make one for you.
While it's apart replace the 004-301-241/A Ball joint - shift lever, inner (often called the hockey stick pivot ball) and the rear bush (001-301-207). Again make sure you get the correct size 16.6mm vs 17mm.

Make sure that you can select all gears WITHOUT using vise grips before tightening the nuts holding the gearshift housing. This may take a bit of fiddling to get right.
PR

Thanks mate, that helps a lot. I'll make sure to replace those bits you mention. The thing with the flange seals is strange. The old ones were 67 x 40 x 10, and the new ones are 67 x 40 x 18, It's the depth that's giving me problems. I've already ruined them trying to seat them in. I thought maybe they were an upgrade on the old ones so I tried to fit them anyway, but they refused, sitting 5mm proud and not letting the white plastic seal retainers sit properly. Anyway, thanks again for the help. I'll do a bit more thinking and see what I can come up with.     
                                                                                                                                                 Mark
I forget to mention the oil seal inside the front bush - the bush may come with it already installed.
The bellows to go over the bush.

PR
Excellent diagram, thanks mate. I didn't realize there was another bush inside the nosecone. I did try and get another bellows, but it seems like they're out of stock at the moment. 
                                                                                Mark
(26-01-2023, 08:01 PM)Mark D Wrote: Excellent diagram, thanks mate. I didn't realize there was another bush inside the nosecone. I did try and get another bellows, but it seems like they're out of stock at the moment. 
                                                                                Mark

Have you tried Tooley Imports ?
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(26-01-2023, 08:01 PM)Mark D Wrote: Excellent diagram, thanks mate. I didn't realize there was another bush inside the nosecone. I did try and get another bellows, but it seems like they're out of stock at the moment. 
                                                                                Mark
Just Kampers are showing stock.
PR
BTW, just remember when looking for parts for your kombi and basing it on a particular year that, especially with engines, gearboxes and their components, there has been many years between them being in the factory and what you have now, and there could have been a number of changes with parts being used from different years and wrecks.  Unless you have had it since new it is likely somewhere along the way there has been some changes you may not know about, and some parts only slighty different but may not fit all versions of the same unit.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)