Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Natures Special Moments
I'm hoping that I will be ok to go up there  again with Carolyn next May, Absolutely love it up there ,I've  yet to see Casawary, but never mind  being in rainforests is something everyone  should experience  in their life.
A Special Moment...

So I went down to the aviary about 3:30 on Sunday to feed the birds after spending the day in an open field photographing dogs and listening out for snakes. Kit Walker and Iseult (Izzy to her friends) came with me. They did their usual laps around the aviary but then Iseult got really interested in one part in particular. I had a look. Nothing there. Then I discovered the "thing" that was there was now at the fence line trying to get away.

The fence is a metre high agricultural fence that I have added chicken wire to stop the dogs from broaching the original fence sheep wiring when it deteriorates. So there it was. A metre+ Red belly trying desperately to get through it. The Cockers started at it. The Red Belly did nothing but tried to get through the fence. Iseult even got a nip in, but at no stage did the snake attempt to counter.

Eventually it got its head through and about a foot of its body but was then stuck. The Cockers continued harassing it so I grabbed it and gave it a push (yes, yes I know). It seemed to understand, looked at me as if to say "sssankssyouss", and then took advantage of the extra momentum and away it went.

Very soft and silky they are to the touch (but I already knew that, my nephew used to raise snakes)

Thank doG it wasn't Pseudonaja textilis
Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
I didn’t expect an answer, because I spoke in Spaniel, which is understood only by spaniels.
We have found that the Red Bellies’ that have visited here are happy to be on their merry way when they sense your presence. The feeling is mutual. I hope we have an understanding of you do your thing and I’ll do mine but they don’t show aggression if just left alone. Tiger Snakes on the other hand… I’ll be truly thankful to never encounter another again.
Vera - ‘75 Bay  
(29-09-2023, 08:03 AM)Ninga Wrote: We have found that the Red Bellies’ that have visited here are happy to be on their merry way when they sense your presence. The feeling is mutual. I hope we have an understanding of you do your thing and I’ll do mine but they don’t show aggression if just left alone. Tiger Snakes on the other hand… I’ll be truly thankful to never encounter another again.

You are right, as all the snake wanted to do was get over the fence. I almost felt sorry for it! The Cockers weren't attacking it but were giving it a hard time. My fear was that it would swing around and bite but it didn't. I just helped it through the fence and all was well.

We don't have Tigers here but the Eastern Brown is a worry.
Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
I didn’t expect an answer, because I spoke in Spaniel, which is understood only by spaniels.
Red Bellies also eat Eastern Brown eggs, and even juvenile Eastern Browns, so they are good to keep the Eastern Brown population under control.

They are also immune to any other snake bites, apparently.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
In preparation for the upcoming Paris Olympics the Australian Synchronised Fishing team is practicing under the watchful eye of their trainer and coach. I thought it was ok to let them use the facilities in our back yard.

Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
The 2 in the front need to be kicked out
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(13-10-2023, 02:05 PM)Barry Wrote: The 2 in the front need to be kicked out

Yeah, you can see the coach at the back looks pretty disgusted with their performance.
Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
Don't point that thing at me!

Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
wildlife photos

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-02/w.../103180806