Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?
Doing a small ding repair over the long weekend, involving sprayed primer, base colour, and clear coats. Some drop in friends, and neighbours commented on the easy masking of the vehicle, that just made sense to me, and I thought may not be common knowledge, so I thought I’d share.

I buy the 3.6m x 2.6 plastic “drop sheets”, from Bunnings for less than a $1.50 each. Why they are sold as “drop sheets” is still an unknown. The plastic is thinner than a bin liner bag, tears incredibly easily, and would be really slippery if you were using them as drop sheets to protect your carpet when painting walls or ceilings of a room in a house.

However, for automotive work to protect the vehicle from overspray, they are ideal.

I just wrap the whole vehicle with it, with a few bits of tape to keep it in place.

Then cut a small hole around the area to be worked on, to then only have to mask around that exposed area.

You can then increase the size of hole after each process, as required…….with zero overspray on the rest of the vehicle.

88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Took my car out to the local cars & coffee (the gold one on the left)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(29-01-2024, 08:29 AM)syncro Wrote: Took my car out to the local cars & coffee (the gold one on the left)

a 75L ...................nice.

They were / are  such good cars
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Ripped the old starter motor out of the Forester.....

We were getting the "click click click", symptomatic of a solenoid on its way out.
When one person turned the key and the other (me...) tapped the solenoid, it'd fire up immediately.

So, off to the wreckers for a good 2nd hand unit - $85.00 with 6 months exchange warranty - installed it and all is well in the Forester realm again.
Bit of a bastard of a job....simple enough but not a lot of wiggle room in the engine bay and plenty of sharp clamps and clips to open my arm up  Tongue

Done.....beer o'clock.
I work cheap !!
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(29-01-2024, 02:43 PM)Oldman Wrote: Ripped the old starter motor out of the Forester.....

Is yours a "stop start" Mark? How many kms?
Finally put up my pegboard in the garage. Unfortunately I couldn't get a Hazet one.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(31-01-2024, 04:08 PM)syncro Wrote: Is yours a "stop start" Mark? How many kms?

Hey Phill, no....it's a 2010 Forester with just under 300,000 ks..... so before that technology was commonplace.
(We've had it from new)
Probably fortunate, as the 2nd hand unit I bought was cheap enough
Cheers,
Mark

Picked up the replacement for the Forester.

I gave my 4x4 to my son ,as I was not using it , much prefer to drive kombi ,so now I'm back to a I car house and saving money . Big Grin
Repaired the OS number plate light on the Forester.......
Light has been intermittent , on/off for a while now so I thought I'd get to the bottom gf the issue.
Turned out that a small plastic section of the T10 wedge globe socket had snapped off, eccentrically loading the globe in its housing, so contact wasn't good.
Looked at replacement options.....sheeeeeet ! ..... a replacement harness, (it's only 2' long), was going to cost $210.00 for OEM. 
A few Chinese knock-off options on the 'net but not really a fan, so on with the thinking cap.
Disassembled the rear tailgate trim to get access to the globe holders and clipped off the damaged unit. A trip to Jaycar where a new T10 fitting cost all of $4.50 and back home. Out with the Dremel - I LOVE my Dremel !! - and I pared back the moulded sections of the original globe holder,( it's all in one piece), ground out a 15 mm hole for the new T10 socket and installed the replacement. A couple of heat shrink solder joiners and the harness is complete again. 
Re-assembled the tailgate trim and paid myself in beer.... Big Grin
Job done.
Cheers,
Mark