Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member with new 76 Kombi camper
(16-09-2023, 10:35 AM)alexbrown64 Wrote: I thought it could be a swagman, but there are differences. Swagman pop photo from above has luggage section exposed to main roof and uses slats. Mine from above is solid.
I do have a bunch of literature included with the vehicle, so when it arrives I may be able to find something.

I had a 1983 kombi that looked almost identical in the conversion.  The pop top had the same mechanism and the windows looked the same.  I can't remember the name of the conversion but my son has the vehicle and I have asked him to have a look for me.  The luggage rack was solid with drain holes in the front corners if I remember correctly.
See the discussion on this previous thread
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthrea...ight=Sopru

Provides some links to info on some of the more popular Camper conversions.

Cheers
 Grant
1971 Sopru aka Doob
(17-09-2023, 06:29 AM)Kombi Dad Wrote: I had a 1983 kombi that looked almost identical in the conversion.  The pop top had the same mechanism and the windows looked the same.  I can't remember the name of the conversion but my son has the vehicle and I have asked him to have a look for me.  The luggage rack was solid with drain holes in the front corners if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the response Kombi Dad.  I have been raking the internet looking for clues. One person posted up an identical roof to mine on their unrestored Kombi. Still had original Swagman decal all faded on the back. The poptop was identical. Full length, slim line, no vent and luggage rack with drain holes in corners. (the the normal Swagman type with slats).
However, and im not sure, I thought Swagmans all had the fiberglass interior?
Anyway, your son may be able to shed some light..

Cheers,
(17-09-2023, 10:19 AM)Doob Wrote: See the discussion on this previous thread
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthrea...ight=Sopru

Provides some links to info on some of the more popular Camper conversions.

Cheers
 Grant

Thanks Grant,
Ive been through every thread I can find on here. I will post up some pics I have found that may shed a clue or some light.
Someone on another forum posted the identical roof to mine, which is a full length, but slim line type with luggage rack at the  front, but does not have slats like the normal Swagman type.
His old Kombi still had a Swagman decal on the back. However, my interior is wood, and not fibreglass, so not sure if Swagman did a wood interior.
I do know mine has a Electrolux RM210 fridge behind the passenger seat. Also has a hand pump for water and a large tank under the vehicle. 
Another clue seems to be the 3/4 rock and roller bed. It has a lump (sort of like an inbuilt pillow) the length of the cushion where you sit. I thought it may be aftermarket, but ive seen another bed the same in another old unrestored Kombi.

I will keep trolling through all the threads and Ill post up some pics later. Someone might recognise the builder.

Cheers,
Who built Bruce?
Hi gang, as some of you know, Bruce is heading over to WA from Melbourne.  I cant figure out the original builder of my Kombi.
Ive posted up a few pics as clues to which company may of built it in 1976.
Bruce has a lump in the original rock and  roll seat. Ive seen this in pics on one other original rock and roll bed.
Bruce has a full length slim line pop top. Slimmer than a normal Swagman and Sunliner top. The cargo area at the front is solid, unlike the slats on the Swagman ones ive seen. I found a thread from a guy who had a yellow Swagman with original decal on back, and also exactly the same pop top as mine. However, it did not mention interior fit out.
Bruce has a hand pump next to the sink, and a large tank under the body.
Not in the pics, as previous owner removed (but he is putting it back) is a Electrolux RM210 fridge behind the passenger seat.
Bruce has a wooden fit out. Not fibreglass like a regular Swagman.
Cheers,

[Image: embed?resid=92ADC44D62692BF8%216175&auth...height=660]

[Image: embed?resid=92ADC44D62692BF8%216177&auth...height=660]

[Image: embed?resid=92ADC44D62692BF8%216174&auth...height=323]

[Image: embed?resid=92ADC44D62692BF8%216176&auth...height=660]

[Image: embed?resid=92ADC44D62692BF8%216178&auth...&width=660]

[Image: embed?resid=92ADC44D62692BF8%216179&auth...height=315]

Smile
(17-09-2023, 01:26 PM)alexbrown64 Wrote: Thanks for the response Kombi Dad.  I have been raking the internet looking for clues. One person posted up an identical roof to mine on their unrestored Kombi. Still had original Swagman decal all faded on the back. The poptop was identical. Full length, slim line, no vent and luggage rack with drain holes in corners. (the the normal Swagman type with slats).
However, and im not sure, I thought Swagmans all had the fiberglass interior?
Anyway, your son may be able to shed some light..

Cheers,

Sounds and definitely looks the same.  My son got back to me and says ours was done by Modular Camping Industries.  Hope this helps.
(14-09-2023, 09:10 PM)alexbrown64 Wrote: Hi gang,

Just joined up, so thanks.
Im in WA and just got myself a 76 Kombi from Melbourne. 
Its on its way with CEVA next week, but wont get here for 30 business days.
Gives me time to gather some parts. Its a pretty original Kombi with original camper interior.
Has a full length pop top with the fiberglass built in luggage carrier.
Previous owner sent me pics of bus before respray. Very rust free and dent free body.

Has had a engine and clutch rebuild with reciepts in its life. Its a 2lt twin carb model.
Fridge still works. Its behind passenger seat and is the Electrolux RM210.
Still has rocknrolla bed and all original cabinets. 

If anyone has any info on original builder of this bus, please let me know.

Thanks,
Alex

[Image: y4mCU3Mxy5VeUlD1TOVGhhRAGdrUthf3UWr32lf0...pmode=none]

Nice looking bus ,welcome  to the club.
Just saw this today. 
I’m going with Swagman

76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy