Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB radios
Both mine are Uniden UH8060S with the Remote Speaker Microphone.

With the road noise of a Kombi at highway speed, it is handy to have the additional speaker in the Microphone, if you need to hear an incoming message.

They are also identical, so I don’t have to rethink how this one works, when driving the other Kombi….. Tongue

https://uniden.com.au/product/uh8060s-au/
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(24-01-2023, 08:33 PM)Grantus Wrote: They are also identical, so I don’t have to rethink how this one works, when driving the other Kombi….. Tongue

That’s why you have two kombis the same??

Tongue Tongue
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
I have a GME in the kombi ,easy to use ,clear tone makes it easy to understand. Minimal  annoying  static, put an Oricom 2 way in the twin cab ,big mistake, thinking about turfing it out and replacing it with an GME like a should have done in the first place. GRRRR.
I have the GME XRS series UHF in mine and as well as great quality sound and clear transmission, it has a really useful feature (I am sure it is available in other models and from other makers).  It records the last 30 or so incoming transmissions and a button press will play them back.  Perfect if you don't quite hear something without having to ask for them to repeat.  That model has the transceiver unit remote mounted with no controls on it so you can hide it under the dash etc and you only have the microphone (with its own speaker and all the controls in the handpiece) that you have to find a place on the dash for. The price isn't for the faint hearted at around $500 for the unit without an antenna, but the features do make life a lot easier if you are using it a lot on the road.

One brand that doesn't get a mention often but is also a very reliable option is ICOM.  Used a lot in industrial vehicles and is very ruggedly built.  I would put it equal first to the GME (with the GME smaller and lighter but less rugged) followed by Uniden. 

At the end of the day though even the best radio and antenna can be let down by a poor install of the coax and location of the antenna.  Try to mount the antenna on the roof or roof rack, or if a ground independent antenna, on a bull bar (bearing in mind on a bus you will have some shielding of the signal to the rear). Make the antenna cable as short as practical, don't kink or severely bend the cable, and if using fastens or cable ties, don't overtighten them (they shouldn't leave marks in the cable sheath).

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
How do you go with the law using the hand piece while driving?
I’ve always wondered about that too, Rick.
Seems ironic that (if) you can hold a handset and talk while driving but not a mobile phone… Huh
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
You can look it up as there are many sources for different states.
It seems to be all states that there is no specific rule for not being able to use a CB radio while driving, but you must be in control of the vehicle at all times.  
They are not specified in the rules as mobile phone actually are.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(24-09-2023, 08:55 AM)rstucke Wrote: How do you go with the law using the hand piece while driving?

Apparently it is legal to use a CB whilst driving, in NSW & ACT at least……. Go figure?

Unsure about other states & NT, but I’m lead to believe it is also legal there too….

One of several similar published articles:

https://campandtravel.com.au/can-i-use-m...e-driving/
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab