Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB radios
Hi does anyone have a CB radio installed?  We are thinking of installing one while finalising a Kombi restoration and planning on travelling.  Does anyone have any recommendations about this?  Thanks everyone Liz
Welcome to KCA Liz!  Smile

I have a CB installed in both my Kombis. You just need a power supply, and somewhere to mount the aerial.

Always have it on channel 40 when travelling, to keep up to date with traffic conditions and incidents. Also great for Kombi cruising Komvoys, to keep in touch with other Kombis, via their CB’s, or handheld units.  Wink
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(23-01-2023, 04:25 PM)LizC Wrote: Hi does anyone have a CB radio installed?  We are thinking of installing one while finalising a Kombi restoration and planning on travelling.  Does anyone have any recommendations about this?  Thanks everyone Liz

I went with a Uniden UH850S link. (make sure you get the S version - typically around $250.)

5 watt handheld so I can use in multiple vehicles and when going for a wander.
Comes with the following:
1 X UH850S UHF Radio
1 X Antenna
1 X Desktop Charge Cradle
1 X External Speaker Microphone (SM800)
1 X Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery
1 X AC Adaptor
1 X Belt Clip (Flat Type)
1 X Earphone MIC (EM800)
1 X Cigarette Lead Cable
1 X Owner’s Manual

I have also installed RFI antennas in 2 vehicles - unscrew the Uniden antenna and screw in the RFI adapter. 

PR
  • 1 X Owner’s Manual
Uniden are good, GME are the better in my opinion. I dont rate Oricom very highly.  

Handheld is convenient but without an external antenna range is very limited even with the same output. Using it inside the bus will cut the range to around a kilometre (with the correct antenna transmitting at 5 watts in open country you should be able to get 10km, and a vehicle mounted unit with a suitable antenna up to 20km in comparison) which is ok for a convoy but not much for highway driving.  

Do some research on the best type of antenna and mounting location. It will make a huge difference to the range.  Unless you are mounting on a roof rack or on the roof itself (or a gutter bracket) the body will shield the signal to a varying degree.  Also if mounting on a bull bar or the bumper (sometimes the only option) you really need a ground independent antenna as you wont have the ground plane of the roof to assist with the transmission.

Attached is the ACMA listing for the channels you are allowed to use and their purpose.

The duplex channels are for repeaters which are usually mounted on hills and help to extend the range of transmissions.  Once again a bit of research goes a long way, and it is best to stay off those channels unless you are want to use the repeater.

Adrian

A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
Sticking this…….great info.  Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Just a bit under the pump atm.  I need to add a bit more info, but there is a lot out there on the net, so I just went with the basics.  Woth adding too as it comes up often.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(23-01-2023, 04:32 PM)Grantus Wrote: Welcome to KCA Liz!  Smile

I have a CB installed in both my Kombis. You just need a power supply, and somewhere to mount the aerial.

Always have it on channel 40 when travelling, to keep up to date with traffic conditions and incidents. Also great for Kombi cruising Komvoys, to keep in touch with other Kombis, via their CB’s, or handheld units.  Wink

Thanks! I was a member for ages then I guess with the new site we started again?  But thanks for the welcome.
I was not sure after seeing how much they cost but sounds like a good idea. Liz
(23-01-2023, 04:48 PM)KIWI Wrote: I went with a Uniden UH850S link. (make sure you get the S version - typically around $250.)

5 watt handheld so I can use in multiple vehicles and when going for a wander.
Comes with the following:
1 X UH850S UHF Radio
1 X Antenna
1 X Desktop Charge Cradle
1 X External Speaker Microphone (SM800)
1 X Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery
1 X AC Adaptor
1 X Belt Clip (Flat Type)
1 X Earphone MIC (EM800)
1 X Cigarette Lead Cable
1 X Owner’s Manual

I have also installed RFI antennas in 2 vehicles - unscrew the Uniden antenna and screw in the RFI adapter. 

PR
  • 1 X Owner’s Manual

Thanks PR, for the advice. I'll check it out. Liz
(24-01-2023, 07:42 AM)Mordred Wrote: Uniden are good, GME are the better in my opinion. I dont rate Oricom very highly.  

Handheld is convenient but without an external antenna range is very limited even with the same output. Using it inside the bus will cut the range to around a kilometre (with the correct antenna transmitting at 5 watts in open country you should be able to get 10km, and a vehicle mounted unit with a suitable antenna up to 20km in comparison) which is ok for a convoy but not much for highway driving.  

Do some research on the best type of antenna and mounting location. It will make a huge difference to the range.  Unless you are mounting on a roof rack or on the roof itself (or a gutter bracket) the body will shield the signal to a varying degree.  Also if mounting on a bull bar or the bumper (sometimes the only option) you really need a ground independent antenna as you wont have the ground plane of the roof to assist with the transmission.

Attached is the ACMA listing for the channels you are allowed to use and their purpose.

The duplex channels are for repeaters which are usually mounted on hills and help to extend the range of transmissions.  Once again a bit of research goes a long way, and it is best to stay off those channels unless you are want to use the repeater.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, much appreciated . Liz
(24-01-2023, 08:39 AM)Mordred Wrote: Just a bit under the pump atm.  I need to add a bit more info, but there is a lot out there on the net, so I just went with the basics.  Woth adding too as it comes up often.

Adrian

No worries, that's plenty of info to get me going from a reliable source. Liz