Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show us your camp site
This one is even older and the photo was in 1978 and it was a great campsite, camped right up on the headland overlooking Callala Bay to the south, I used to take a VW based buggy that I built onto the beach and we used to ski behind it on the water, was lots of fun, and check out how good that pop top sock was, well it was only 2 years old at the time, its not a great photo but hey, I had to do a google to find what the place was called, we used to know it by red rock, looks like I might have to go back one day and see what it looks like now that its been turned into a tourist spot, the track in was through the bush and not easy going at the time, cheers Greg

[Image: itQsiV5.png?1]

[Image: GNYxRgW.jpg?2]
Sid our 66 Splitty Project
Possum our 76 Sopru Traveller
TLC our 1990 Single Cab, my daily
Goanna our 08 4 motion Dual Cab Chassis, Katherines Daily
That’s spooky Terry……. 
I bought my kombi from Red Point, Callala Bay in 2009.
It was my wife’s birthday and I suggested we go for a drive…..
The foreshore areas are now developed but it is still a beautiful look south across the bay.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(11-07-2022, 06:55 PM)Oldman Wrote: That’s spooky Terry……
I bought my kombi from Red Point, Callala Bay in 2009.
It was my wife’s birthday and I suggested we go for a drive…..
The foreshore areas are now developed but it is still a beautiful look south across the bay.

Mark I used to spend lots of time down there when we were kids, a friend had a holiday house, there were only about 25 houses there max and a general store, lots of wild horses and native wildlife around, I can't imagine what the area looks like now or even when you went on the best drive of your life, that was 31 years after we were there, funny story, once we were in there and a 4 wheel drive club came in and couldn't believe that the Kombi came in the same way as them, they had been winching each other through the rough bits, we would go over the other side of the bay as well but that was all Navy grounds, you were allowed in when they weren't having bombing practice but they wouldn't let you camp when you could get in, we used to go to a place called Green Island back then and it was a great spot for diving on the south side of the island, good memories thats for sure, cheers Greg
(11-07-2022, 07:48 PM)onetrackwonder Wrote: Mark I used to spend lots of time down there when we were kids, a friend had a holiday house, there were only about 25 houses there max and a general store, lots of wild horses and native wildlife around, I can't imagine what the area looks like now or even when you went on the best drive of your life, that was 31 years after we were there, funny story, once we were in there and a 4 wheel drive club came in and couldn't believe that the Kombi came in the same way as them, they had been winching each other through the rough bits, we would go over the other side of the bay as well but that was all Navy grounds, you were allowed in when they weren't having bombing practice but they wouldn't let you camp when you could get in, we used to go to a place called Green Island back then and it was a great spot for diving on the south side of the island, good memories thats for sure, cheers Greg

Spent many, many years exploring the South Coast in my late teens……and then the rest of my life revisiting “secret spots” that we found. As our boys (both keen surfers) we’re growing up, we would take off, down the coast revisiting our old stomping grounds.
Most are now all built up and common knowledge these days…..but  I guess that was always going to happen eventually.
Green Island / Cunjurong Point is a favourite and we’ve spent many happy times down there as family groups…funny, …….in the 70’s as a free spirited teenager exploring the Sth. Coast in a kombi with my battered single fin, I would never have thought that I’d be still be coming back 45 years later…
At least, now, I can legally grab a beer at the Marlin hotel on the way through ! Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark

Our site at Old Bar every year:

Plenty of shade for those warm afternoons/evenings….
Cheers,
Mark

Photo 
Our setup at Nambucca for the VW  Spectacular just gone, cheers Greg

[Image: qkC8pz2.jpg?1]

[Image: P69HhYn.jpg]

[Image: AzrNqV3.jpg]

And the boys chilling 
[Image: mqxBj58.jpg?1]
Yea camp out 2022, great place for a weekend.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well...........we were back out at Carcalong on the weekend.
Somewhere between Hill End and Mudgee.
It was cold, windy, wet and a perfect winter camp.

Saw a few locals about the place

The road was pretty bad. 
Couldnt get in from Arrons Pass way - had to go to Pyramal and around from the west
Finally got there and ground was saturated.
Rain came and went. More coming than going.
Poured down at times.
Tried setting up under some cover.

Gave up in the end and slept in the shearing shed.

Not much remained of the bottle of whiskey we took up.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Looks like the perfect weather Barry to get away in, and a bonus having the shearing shed, looks awesome, thanks for sharing, cheers Greg
Here’s a couple of happy snaps from Nundle last weekend.  Smile