Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What did you do to your kombi today ?
My photos

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hopefully will be finished today ,next job will be new curtains all rounds ,now I have to learn how to use a sewing machine.
Love ya work Chris !
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Clutch has been slipping, taken motor and gearbox out. Replace the input shaft seal which had been leaking, causing the clutch to slip. The nose cone seal has also been leaking for years, so replace that as well. Also put a new clutch lever arm on which is 11mm longer then an original one, makes putting foot on clutch pedal a lot lighter. Gearbox has been put back in.

72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Finally took Josie out for a cruise today. She was sorted out before December but we went away and today was our first chance. She is back to what she should be - no more cutting out when coming to a rolling stop or even just taking foot off accelerator - it turned out to be multiple vacuum leaks that was causing so much trouble - she may have earned a reprieve and we might hold onto her - lets see how Easter goes Wink

1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
When we got back from our fish and chips lunch, we replaced the crusty old pinchweld that was around the pop top - I bought it back the last time I drove her in September from Clark Rubber.

I forgot to take a picture of the old stuff in situ but it just pulled off really easily, there was no glue and I just wiped it down to get rid of some of the mud and dust before the new stuff just pushed straight on. I bought white so you can hardly see it. It's the first photo - the others are just after I had wiped the mud off.

1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
(06-01-2024, 01:52 PM)Melissa Wrote: Finally took Josie out for a cruise today. She was sorted out before December but we went away and today was our first chance. She is back to what she should be - no more cutting out when coming to a rolling stop or even just taking foot off accelerator - it turned out to be multiple vacuum leaks that was causing so much trouble - she may have earned a reprieve and we might hold onto her - lets see how Easter goes Wink

Lol,,,seeing Scott munching out on fish n chips while sitting in kombi makes me feel hungry. Fish n chips n kombis sort of go together I think, Big Grin
Your persistence has finally paid off Melissa  Big Grin
I’m sure Pete is smiling down, knowing that Josie is well again…… Heart
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
I did some work on both Harry and Layla last weekend.

I'm taking Harry the 76 automatic 2L down to DIY Autoworks at Campbelltown again this Saturday. So I spent some time last Saturday getting all the parts and tools ready for the trek down to Cambelltown. I've got a list of jobs to do but I'll be happy if I just get the fuel cutoff soldenoid installed, the split CV joint boot replaced and the taco plate oil leak fixed. Other jobs on the list include getting the horn working, fixing the oil leak at the fuel pump, making a shroud for the oil cooler so it forces air in there at highway speed, replace missing nut on muffler, replace grommet on starter positive lead firewall penetration, secure the voltage regulator wiring, replace the heat exchanger valve cables, and the list goes on!

Layla the 71 manual 1600 has an auxilliary battery relay fitted by the previous owner. But I've had problems with the main battery going flat repeatedly, and I didn't quite understand how the relay worked, so I've had the auxilliary battery on the bench for several months.  I've also had the main battery out and have been trying to charge it up on the bench. I haven't driven Layla much and that could explain why the main battery goes flat. But it just seemed to happen too much. I'm wondering whether the Mongoose alarm is draining the charge. Anyway, charging the main battery on the bench resulted in "battery fault" alarms going off many times. It's a maintenance free battery and I think the electrolyte level is low. So last weekend I  fiddled a lot with the batteries. I noticed the clamp on the wires in the positive terminal was quite loose, plus the clamp on the battery post was all beaten up and stretched. Perhaps the combination of loose terminals, not much driving and the car alarm draining the battery too low too many times resulted in the battery damage. So I replaced the main battery and both battery terminals with much better quality. I'm going to attempt to keep the battery charged to a reasonable level and to that end I've fitted a Century battery monitor so I can see the voltage on my phone from my lounge chair. 

I refitted the auxilliary battery, which had been charging on the bench. It's a rather huge deep cycle battery that only just fits in the space. I also checked all the documentation on the relay so I knew how it was supposed to work.

To check everything was working, I used the Century battery monitor on the main battery and attached my voltmeter to the auxilliary battery. The auxilliary battery is disconnected (an LED on the relay lights up when the batteries are connected) until the main battery voltage comes up to about 13.2 V. Then the auxilliary battery stays connected until the main battery voltage falls below about 12.7 V. The relay also has a switch that forces the auxilliary battery to connect if I want to use it to jump start the main battery.

So now I need to keep an eye on the batteries to see if anything goes flat again. The Century battery monitor allows me to see the main battery voltage on my phone if I'm within Bluetooth range, so it's easy to check that each day. And if I notice a drop the new battery terminals will allow me to easily connect the battery charger to replenish before there's damage to either of the batteries.

I'm looking forward to Saturday where I can do some work on Harry on the hoist at DIY Autoworks. My back was had it after getting up and down a thousand times last weekend!
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
the '75 was starting to look like garden art so I put 3 months rego on, air in the tyres, fuel in the tank and went for a drive