Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move T3 pop-top into QLD?
(27-05-2024, 04:56 PM)Oldman Wrote: Just a cautionary word of advice......
Don't assume that 240V compliance will be easy....
A buddy of mine had his van's electrics certified recently.....just 'cause he wanted to.
Van was a Sopru Campmobile, never out of rego.
Inspector threw the book at him. 
Insisted that all/any GPO's were replaced with dual pole units, all wiring associated with 240V supply was to be replaced and a permanently fixed and appropriately located, ELCB fitted.

Assumptions are the Mother of all cockups !!
Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up!
(27-05-2024, 04:56 PM)Oldman Wrote: Just a cautionary word of advice......
Don't assume that 240V compliance will be easy....
A buddy of mine had his van's electrics certified recently.....just 'cause he wanted to.
Van was a Sopru Campmobile, never out of rego.
Inspector threw the book at him. 
Insisted that all/any GPO's were replaced with dual pole units, all wiring associated with 240V supply was to be replaced and a permanently fixed and appropriately located, ELCB fitted.

Assumptions are the Mother of all cockups !!
Good luck.

That's sounds like some halfwit has done some DIY. Sopru originally has 1 dual pole GPO. So anything else was illegally fitted. CB was not a regulation back then so if it has an approval sticker I think it may not require one. Unlike gas regulations which were retrospective.
Thanks for the useful insights.

Find it interesting that 1991 van has Camperize DMT Approval 83131 for seat/bed conversion but not a second DMT Approval number for pop-top conversion. Maybe pop-top was installed by Discovery/Discoverer, who is apparently who did campervan conversion (e.g., seat/bed was done my Camperize but rest of conversion was done by Discovery/Discoverer)? Have asked if they can check again to ensure there isn’t another DMT Approval sticker somewhere else because, if so, this seems to notably reduce the process/hassle when it comes to getting QLD mod plates. But having the DMT Approval 83131 for seat/bed is the better of the two to have because seat testing is more strict (in both states, to my understanding) than pop-top testing/certification, so considering this info from Technical Enquiries to be an unexpected win!  Big Grin
(27-05-2024, 07:13 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: Thanks for the useful insights.

Find it interesting that 1991 van has Camperize DMT Approval 83131 for seat/bed conversion but not a second DMT Approval number for pop-top conversion. Maybe pop-top was installed by Discovery/Discoverer, who is apparently who did campervan conversion (e.g., seat/bed was done my Camperize but rest of conversion was done by Discovery/Discoverer)? Have asked if they can check again to ensure there isn’t another DMT Approval sticker somewhere else because, if so, this seems to notably reduce the process/hassle when it comes to getting QLD mod plates. But having the DMT Approval 83131 for seat/bed is the better of the two to have because seat testing is more strict (in both states, to my understanding) than pop-top testing/certification, so considering this info from Technical Enquiries to be an unexpected win!  Big Grin

I don't know if Camperize required certification for the roof back in '91 as they did not cut any of the structural ribs like Trakka did. I remember Chris talking about this but was 40 years ago so I could be wrong. So maybe there is no approval for the roof. Just like towbars and bullbars didn't require approval back then. Anyhow keep us informed how you progress with this. Dealing with the halfwit public servants always makes a good story.
(27-05-2024, 07:35 PM)syncro Wrote: I don't know if Camperize required certification for the roof back in '91 as they did not cut any of the structural ribs like Trakka did. I remember Chris talking about this but was 40 years ago so I could be wrong. So maybe there is no approval for the roof. Just like towbars and bullbars didn't require approval back then. Anyhow keep us informed how you progress with this. Dealing with the halfwit public servants always makes a good story.

Thanks for the insight.

So the pre-sale inspection of the 2010 T5 came back a bit less than thrilling. There appear to be some issues mechanically (oil leak and clunky shifting by automatic transmission) and cosmetically (surface rust on undercarriage, big sliding door doesn’t operate smoothly, some differences in paint suggesting body work, etc). But perhaps the bigger concern that all that is that it is currently registered in QLD as a 2 seater instead of a 4 seater as per NSW rego and mounted mod plate. Talking to QLD Trnasport it seems whoever did the transition from NSW to QLD didn’t do all the correct steps to bring across this change in number of seats. Seller in planning to request that roadworthy tomorrow is done a 4 seater, but not sure how this will go if the NSW mod plate would need to be changed to a QLD mod plate to achieve this. If this turns out to be the case it could seriously influence decision as this adds additional cost to the process (need it registered as 4 seater as will be regularly travelling with 4 passengers). Should know more tomorrow after qld roadworthy is done (for 4 seater).

Turns out the 2010 T5 is the 2.0L 132kW version. Any thoughts on whether this is notably better than 1.9L 103kW version of TDI engine? 

Seller provided quite a few maintenance receipts from last few years (see below), which leaves me wondering if 2.0L TDI engine might require more maintenance than the 2.1L manual petrol engine in 1991 T3 (which, apparently, doesn’t have a timing belt or timing chain)?

Mechanic who did pre-sale inspection said he wouldn’t pass it for roadworthy as is, so will be interesting to see what a different mechanic says tomorrow. But the 2- va 4-seater rego is quite an important factor in my mind, although getting the qld mod plate for the 2010 would likely be easier than for the 1991 because there is a mounted NSW mod plate plus paperwork (compliance certificate) for 2010 whereas 1991 is lacking such supporting evidence about modifications (ie, likely less expensive but still a cost that wasn’t expected as assumption was that 2010 was already registered as 4 seater as per NSW mod plate).

Will also try and attach mechanic report about 1991 T3. Not much explanation, just ticks and X on checklist but my understanding is that the lack of comments is a good thing?

Thanks heaps for any insights.
Here are images relevant to 2010 T5 mod plate and rego qld and NSW.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here are images from pre-sale inspection of 2010 T5

Here is mechanical report for 1991 T3

Attached Files
.pdf   1991 VW Campervan Inspection Report.pdf (Size: 184.88 KB / Downloads: 4)
Here are some service documents from the past 2ish years. Seems the 2.0L twin turbo TDI is more prone to overheating than 1.9L TDI (and 2.1L petrol?) and could be more costly to work on/maintain. Seems timing belt will be due in about 40,000km. Oil leak issue should be resolved to pass roadworthy plus rear tires are “right on the edge” so hopefully mechanic will fail based on this (too) so that they are replaced as part of roadworthy (given long road trip). Back to thinking the 1991 T3 could be the go. Done less KM in nearly 3x the lifespan. Seems the 2010 might have had a harder life than expected.

Just guessing but the previous owner may have been using cheap diesel or doing a lot of short trips.

What is sticking out between your legs?