Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move T3 pop-top into QLD?
G’day fellow Kombi enthusiasts,

Considering buying a T3 GL from a dealer in Sydney. Only one owner since new and conversion is listed as “Campers Industries”. Anyone heard of this conversion company before? 

This leads to my next, and perhaps more important question: has anyone run into issues when transferring rego for a pop-top T3 (or similar) from outside QLD to QLD? If so, was the issue because of the specific conversion (i.e., which company did conversion and their alignment to QLD “compliance certificate” standards)? For what it is worth, it will come with NSW roadworthy, gas certificate, and ~2 months rego.

Planning to talk with local roadworthy company tomorrow but feeling it is best to be prepared with the right questions to ask. Hopefully it isn’t a “I would have to see the van before saying for sure” as this makes the whole process far more so a gamble.

Thanks heaps for any insights.
Being a camper, it is considered a “modified vehicle”, which requires an engineering certificate to deem it safe and roadworthy. It would have that cert to be registered in NSW.

Here’s the kicker: That NSW engineers certificate, (& the roadworthy), is ONLY valid in NSW, and to register it in any other state or territory, will require a new engineers certificate, (and costly fee), to get it registered in the new state or territory, if at all.

Horror story a few years back. Jess Miller purchased a modified T3, fully engineer certified, roadworthy and registered in NSW, and had it freighted home to South Australia. SA rego looked it over, and told him that there is no way it would ever get SA rego.

Luckily, the NSW seller agreed to take it back and refund the purchase price, but the $3k freight bill both ways, was money down the drain.

I also found a one owner since new Victorian registered T3 pop top camper for a friend, and the same hoops to get that one registered in NSW after he bought it. 

Until we get a National Roadworthy system, to protect both buyers and sellers, each state still has their own money grabbing fees for additional engineers certificates, everytime a vehicle is rehomed across borders.  Angry
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
And the “modified” classification also extends to some insurance companies.

I had my T3 Single Cab insured with Budget Direct. I took it off the road for 16 months to do a back to bare metal, rust repair, and respray. Instead of VW white, I chose to paint it up in two tone VW Capri over Marine blue, to match my Caravelle.

When I got it back on the road, and rang Budget Direct to get insurance, (they already had all my details on file), and I corrected the info to change it from white to blue…….there was a long pause, and she came back on the phone that they could no longer offer me new policy, as they don’t insure modified vehicles! 

Shannons laughed when I told them the only modification the vehicle now has, that is different from the day it left the factory, is the paint colour! They happily offered to take my money for an insurance policy….. Rolleyes
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Thanks heaps for the insightful replies.

Talked with roadworthy people today and based on that conversation it seems the only major difference between NSW and QLD is how they determine “oil leaks”. Based on this, I am not overly concerned about this aspect of transfer to QLD.

Got onto a modification plate certifier and his initial response was “not overly concerned” regarding the needed seat and roof modification plates. Sent him photos and expect to chat with him more tomorrow, but thus far it is looking promising.

Thinking about requesting a pre-sale inspection by dealer in NSW but to QLD standards. Not sure if this is at all reasonable to request. Roadworthy company recommended having pre-sale inspection as a form of “protection” but wasn’t clear about what she meant.

It seems unavoidable that there will be some element of risk in this process but given quality of the van and conversion the risk seems low; however, based on stories shared in previous replies it seems that there could be state-specific curveballs regarding what will qualify for new modification plates and what won’t. Hoping to gain more insights about this (and thus confidence) tomorrow.

If all looks good then planning to fly down to Sydney to see van before making final decision/payment. Then the choice will be whether or drive it back ~2,200km to Townsville or pay ~$1,500 to have it shipped up. I like the idea of a big road trip as a first adventure that really tests out the van; however, such a big road trip opens the risk that if there happens to be something unexpected wrong mechanically this could lead to a very inconvenient situation arising. As such, still debating if a 2,200km “test drive” is logical or not? Better to find out any issues straight away (and possibly far from home) or better to “ease into it” with some local trips first? The cost difference between two options is relatively small, so not currently a factor in decision matrix. Any feedback/insights/experiences appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

cheers.
(14-05-2024, 07:24 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: Thanks heaps for the insightful replies.

Talked with roadworthy people today and based on that conversation it seems the only major difference between NSW and QLD is how they determine “oil leaks”. Based on this, I am not overly concerned about this aspect of transfer to QLD.

Got onto a modification plate certifier and his initial response was “not overly concerned” regarding the needed seat and roof modification plates. Sent him photos and expect to chat with him more tomorrow, but thus far it is looking promising.

Thinking about requesting a pre-sale inspection by dealer in NSW but to QLD standards. Not sure if this is at all reasonable to request. Roadworthy company recommended having pre-sale inspection as a form of “protection” but wasn’t clear about what she meant.

It seems unavoidable that there will be some element of risk in this process but given quality of the van and conversion the risk seems low; however, based on stories shared in previous replies it seems that there could be state-specific curveballs regarding what will qualify for new modification plates and what won’t. Hoping to gain more insights about this (and thus confidence) tomorrow.

If all looks good then planning to fly down to Sydney to see van before making final decision/payment. Then the choice will be whether or drive it back ~2,200km to Townsville or pay ~$1,500 to have it shipped up. I like the idea of a big road trip as a first adventure that really tests out the van; however, such a big road trip opens the risk that if there happens to be something unexpected wrong mechanically this could lead to a very inconvenient situation arising. As such, still debating if a 2,200km “test drive” is logical or not? Better to find out any issues straight away (and possibly far from home) or better to “ease into it” with some local trips first? The cost difference between two options is relatively small, so not currently a factor in decision matrix. Any feedback/insights/experiences appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

cheers.
If you have the time, I’d vote for the awesome road trip, and see what adventures happen along the way…….worse case scenario, you have it shipped the remaining part of the way, if it fails the long “test drive”, with great stories to tell in the future.  Tongue 

A well maintained T3, would do the trip with ease. If I had a reason to drive my T3 2,500kms tomorrow, I wouldn’t hesitate, 
but I know my bus. 

I can see that unknown maintenance by previous owners, could be a concern. Are you game?  Rolleyes
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Ditto Grant’s feelings…..
Only thing I’d add would be to ensure that you have top level roadside assist….that way you’ll be covered for a tow if you need it.
Do the run !
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(13-05-2024, 07:48 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: G’day fellow Kombi enthusiasts,

Considering buying a T3 GL from a dealer in Sydney. Only one owner since new and conversion is listed as “Campers Industries”. Anyone heard of this conversion company before? 

This leads to my next, and perhaps more important question: has anyone run into issues when transferring rego for a pop-top T3 (or similar) from outside QLD to QLD? If so, was the issue because of the specific conversion (i.e., which company did conversion and their alignment to QLD “compliance certificate” standards)? For what it is worth, it will come with NSW roadworthy, gas certificate, and ~2 months rego.

Planning to talk with local roadworthy company tomorrow but feeling it is best to be prepared with the right questions to ask. Hopefully it isn’t a “I would have to see the van before saying for sure” as this makes the whole process far more so a gamble.

Thanks heaps for any insights.

I had a Campers Industries converted T3 which now belongs to my son.  The conversion was done in Sydney but the vehicle was registered in the ACT when I acquired it.  I had to have an engineer's certificate to get it registered in NSW.  I was required to upgrade the mounts for the fridge which was located near the sliding door.  It was only a minor modification.  All else went well.  I had many years of travel in it until I happened to locate an 89 Synchro Caravelle which became our camper.
(16-05-2024, 06:24 AM)Kombi Dad Wrote: I had a Campers Industries converted T3 which now belongs to my son.  The conversion was done in Sydney but the vehicle was registered in the ACT when I acquired it.  I had to have an engineer's certificate to get it registered in NSW.  I was required to upgrade the mounts for the fridge which was located near the sliding door.  It was only a minor modification.  All else went well.  I had many years of travel in it until I happened to locate an 89 Synchro Caravelle which became our camper.
Thanks heaps for the informative reply. Glad to hear you enjoyed the Campers Industries conversion and found it to be of good quality. Given that it is still going, would you say that is a testament to its build quality?

Good to know that only minor modification was needed when moving from ACT to NSW. This is what I’m thinking will be the case when moving from NSW to QLD. Planning to find an independent mechanic near Thornleigh NSW to do a pre-sale inspection on van and will as if this can be done “with QLD standards in mind”. The dealer selling van is also a certified VW service center but thinking it would be wise to get an independent opinion based on the experience of a close mate who bought a 4x4 non-VW van a few years back from a 4x4 dealer and service centre that ended up having whoa-problems. As such, thinking unbiased opinion of van quality/condition would be worth the cost.

At this point the plan is to do the 2,234km road trip as long as the logistics of getting away work out (but looking promising)! :)
Just talked to Services NSW and there is no modification plate or engineering certificate associated with registration. Dealer looked through van and couldn’t find a mounted modification plate anywhere. Thus, it seems this modification (campervan conversion including rear seat change) was done before the requirement for mounted mod plate or engineering certificate?

Talked with engineer here in QLD today and his feedback was that having the original engineering certificate would greatly simplify the process as opposed to doing a new one “from scratch” (eg, hundreds vs thousands in cost).

Has anyone encountered such a thing (eg, conversions so old that no mod plate or engineering certificate linked to rego)?

Thanks heaps.
I think it's highly unlikely that the mod. was done before compliance plate requirements......
My '76 Campmobile was done by Sopru and the modification/certification plate is attached behind the driver's seat.

If the bus has been repainted, there's every chance that the plate was removed and never reinstated.
Gonna be a bumpy and expensive road ahead without it......
(Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.)
Good luck.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light