Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move T3 pop-top into QLD?
Sounding promising.........good luck !!
Which bus....?
You'll know when you see the right one  Wink.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Haha. Thanks. That does tend to be the case. At a distance though I am feeling less jazzed about the 2010 because it is LWB style (~5.9m long) as this feels big/cumbersome to drive around for local/short trips. Will probably still go see it as “driving is knowing” but at this point the 1991 (at ~4.6 meters) is feeling like the more appealing, although the “harder” one in that it requires transfer to QLD. Any experience with driving LWB vs SWB? Noticeably different?
I personally don’t have any experience with the T5’s, however many are used around here as
“Mum’s Taxi” and the drivers are as zippy as smaller vehicles… Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(23-05-2024, 06:59 PM)Oldman Wrote: I personally don’t have any experience with the T5’s, however many are used around here as
“Mum’s Taxi” and the drivers are as zippy as smaller vehicles… Big Grin

Good to know!  Big Grin
I cant comment on T5 LWB V's T3 - my experience is T4 V's T3 V's Late Bays V's Splitty - did that make sense?  Huh

Your T5 with the motor in front is the main difference in driving and handling - again, your front wheels are in front of you instead of sitting on top of them in the T3. That room in the back is pretty good too when the motor is in the front.

Good luck.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
(23-05-2024, 07:57 PM)Melissa Wrote: I cant comment on T5 LWB V's T3 - my experience is T4 V's T3 V's Late Bays V's Splitty - did that make sense?  Huh

Your T5 with the motor in front is the main difference in driving and handling - again, your front wheels are in front of you instead of sitting on top of them in the T3. That room in the back is pretty good too when the motor is in the front.

Good luck.

Thanks for the helpful insights. All good points. Been thinking about this quite a lot. In addition to the “transfer to QLD” rabbit hole that I feel stuck in (everyone I talk to tells me something different but did make some more headway yesturday), at this point the debate in my mind is largely between the style/character of the 1991 T3 (despite QLD transfer unknowns) vs the more modern style/setup of the 2010 T5 (already in QLD). For only a few thousand more my logical side is leaning towards the 2010 as our plan is to keep whichever van for decades to come, so newer model likely has more life/longevity in it (plus diesel engine)? But the one owner 1991 is quite rare/unique and likely still has lots of life still in it? The 1991 has the more classic style (and very similar to my 1985 T3) but the “over the wheels” style with no air bags (although it does have bull bars) is a slight safety concern that, for whatever reasons, didn’t factor into the decision about my former 1985, which didn’t have bull bars so minimal “protection”. The 2010 seems more modern in these safety regards. Have requested a video tour of the 2010 to help inform decision and planning to go see it first as the feel of driving the LWB will be very telling (eg, does it feel long/cumbersome or not).

Regarding the QLD transfer rabbit hole, it turns out that the 1991 has a D.M.T. Type Approved 83131 sticker next to manufacturer plate (see picture below). The engineer that QLD Transport put me onto, who is based on Sydney but authorized QLD engineer, said that if document(s) regarding what Approval 83131 was in regards to could be attained that they could provide the basis for issuing QLD modification plates (eg, info specifying what tests conducted to get Approval 83131). Made some calls but no luck yet tracking down the relevant document(s) but know who else to try calling on Monday (Transport NSW Technical Inquiries). If this information can’t be obtained then he recommended doing mod plates in QLD as for him to do it would require destructive testing, especially of the Rock and Roll seats in the back. Regarding required QLD mod plates, QLD transport Vehicle Services advised that it would require one for seat change (LK1 or 2) and one for pop-top (LH1 or 2); however, because stove isn’t fixed in place then it doesn’t qualify as a “campervan” (ie, not LH11 mod plate) for registration purposes, so would be a “modified van”. Still feeling a bit uncertain so going for a van already in QLD is quite appealing but still somewhat feeling that the effort to transfer into QLD just might be worthwhile for the “right” van (given the longterm usage), so not giving up yet on the 1991 as it does seem unique enough to warrant the effort/consideration (although interest is waining a bit towards 2010 QLD van pending more information).

The other option is to not go for either of these two van and keep looking (within QLD); however, with some visitors coming from overseas in August it would be nice to have something by then although not critical. The element of “is this decision rushed or is it lucky timing to be looking when these two appealing vans happen to be available?” is always in the back of my mind. Through the lens of “the van finds you”, then perhaps this will become clear when seeing either/both in-person (ie, no vibe, no buy).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That DMT sticker is the same that I had. Issued in NSW. I don't think that Chris Band (owner of Camperize) ever had approval outside of NSW. The date that approval was issued means that they did not have to notify the RTA of the modification at that time. I think that the seat could be a problem in QLD as it does not have a steel frame. The seat could easily be replaced with a 2024 approved one. I don't know anything about the standards for the roof.

That must have sat around at TKM for a while. It is a July 1990 build and the compliance plate wasn't fitted until December 1991.
(25-05-2024, 03:49 PM)syncro Wrote: That DMT sticker is the same that I had. Issued in NSW. I don't think that Chris Band (owner of Camperize) ever had approval outside of NSW. The date that approval was issued means that they did not have to notify the RTA of the modification at that time. I think that the seat could be a problem in QLD as it does not have a steel frame. The seat could easily be replaced with a 2024 approved one. I don't know anything about the standards for the roof.

That must have sat around at TKM for a while. It is a July 1990 build and the compliance plate wasn't fitted until December 1991.

Thanks for the insight. While the DMT Type Approved won’t hold any water in QLD directly, the engineer said that if we could get document showing what testing was done to attain this DMT Type Approved from NSW (specifically seat test conditions) that such information could permit him to issue a QLD mod plate directly without need for further testing. Have a feeling that tracking down such a document is going to near-impossible though, but holding out hope that Transport NSW still has something on file regarding Approval 83131.
That was approved in 1991. It is not approved in 2024. You will have to meet 2024 standards if he is playing by the rules.
(25-05-2024, 05:36 PM)syncro Wrote: That was approved in 1991. It is not approved in 2024. You will have to meet 2024 standards if he is playing by the rules.

The engineer in Sydney who is certified in both NSW and QLD said that a 1991 van is assessed against 1991 standards. Not sure what to believe given that nearly every person I’ve talked to on the phone has said something different, but this guy did seem very knowledgeable overall and kept saying that he would be more strict that most engineers I’d find in QLD given the type of multi-state certification. Either way, his main concern was the seat because, as pointed out, the backrest is often plywood or something other than a full metal frame. His comment was “I’m not sure how that design ever passed”. Not sure what would be involved with changing the seat to high standard (and if this is possible with retaining bed comfort), but this is perhaps another mark against the 1991 due to QLD transfer hassle/uncertainty…