Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move T3 pop-top into QLD?
Thanks for the insightful reply.

Talked with Serives NSW today and confirmed that the current rego on van has no mod plates listed, which makes sense given dealer said he can’t find them. So wondering if this becomes transferring a non-modified vehicle into QLD?

This ad for a 1985 Synchro that seems heavily modified (including original camper conversion) and the only mod plate in text/photos is for adding 2 extra seats (i.e., no mod plate for campervan/pop-top conversion), which leaves me wondering…
Service NSW doesn’t keep records of mod. plates to the best of my knowledge.
Process for a camper conversion/modification goes something like this:
Original vehicle sourced,
Original vehicle modified,
Workshop carrying out the work ensures any modification work is compliant with current Standards at the time of work. Workshop is either authorised to certify their own work and affix the modification plate to the vehicle, OR workshop assigns an Engineer to inspect and certify the modification works. Modification plate is then affixed to vehicle.
Once owner has evidence of certification/compliance, the registration details of the vehicle are amended to reflect the modifications carried out.

Any vehicle that is not as it was when it rolled off the factory floor is considered modified.
Volkswagen (in Australia) did not carry out their own camper conversions, they were outsourced to VW authorised workshops for the work.
In my Kombi’s case, it was sold new as a windowed kombi. Before delivery it was shipped to Sopru where all the Campmobile modifications were carried out AND certified. The kombi was then delivered to the original buyer as a “new VW Campmobile “ and registered accordingly. It has never been out of rego. since.
If you are going to try and register a NSW registered Campervan, it will be deemed a modified vehicle regardless of the lack of supporting evidence.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
This official QLD document (especially checklist on pages 72-73) clearly explains that a LH11 mod plate would be needed for campervan conversion, but still don’t understand why one was never fitted in NSW (or how it was registered without one).
You can do a rego search through Service NSW website, free of charge. All you need to do is input the vehicle’s number plate and it will give you the current rego. details/ rego. status.
Cheers,
Mark

(16-05-2024, 02:51 PM)Oldman Wrote: I think it's highly unlikely that the mod. was done before compliance plate requirements......
My '76 Campmobile was done by Sopru and the modification/certification plate is attached behind the driver's seat.

NSW never had mod plates. Sopru (VW Australia) was approved for all of Australia so they had plates.  I don't know what "Camper Industries" is. Are you sure it is not Camperize? NSW Transport did not keep records of modifications then. They were just type approved and there should be a sticker with a reference number fitted.
(16-05-2024, 06:54 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: This official QLD document (especially checklist on pages 72-73) clearly explains that a LH11 mod plate would be needed for campervan conversion, but still don’t understand why one was never fitted in NSW (or how it was registered without one).

Many reasons for mod. plates to disappear….as I posted before. 
Once a vehicle is registered, it will retain its classification if the registration is kept up……within the registration State, ie NSW. Let a vehicle’s rego lapse and you’ll be jumping through a Circus worth of hoops as these old Campers do not comply with current Standards for Certification. 
Many a tear been shed by unwary people on here……
Be very, very careful how you proceed with an interstate vehicle……….unless you have a fat wallet and the patience to deal with the onslaught.
Cheers,
Mark

Thanks heaps for the informative replies.

The 1984 Synchro link should bring you to caresales.com page, but the mod plate makes sense now based on QLD Transport document linked above. Just comes down to how much effort/time is needed to satisfy engineer that conversion is safe (without doing any irreparable damage in the process, e.g., checking how pop-top installation was done/welded).

Will have a look for (and keep an eye out) for Sopru certified campervan conversions, but I expect these to be less common. 

Thinking I’ll try and find a campervan conversion company here in QLD that might be able to do the QLD mod plate given their expertise and need to do so for all vehicles that they modify professionally.

Talked to dealer in Sydney today and he said he talked to the company that did conversion (Design Campers Industries), which has changed owners 3 times since 1991 and they didn’t have any documentation about conversions done back in 1991. Might try and get their number (couldn’t find online) and try and get info directly. Apparently the dealership does modifications on non-VW cars and his engineer was coming by today for something else so he was going to have a chat with him about what all would be required. Hoping for more info tomorrow. Maybe dealer can sort out a NSW mod plate before sale and provide paperwork, which would hopefully streamline the QLD process (seems the cost is related to how much effort the engineer has to put in as advised today that if I could provide the previous engineering certificate that the whole process becomes an inexpensive formality).

Been trying to track down insurance today too and thus far can only get a quote from CLI and KT. No one else would insure a campervan > 30 years old that gets used for recreation (specifically if ever slept in). Here’s hoping for reasonably priced quotes.
Just searched NSW site and no condition codes or registration conditions listed (see photo below). Presumably this would be where any modifications would be listed?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Many of our members, with Campers that are well over 30 years old and use them regularly for travel, have their vehicles with Shannons.
I’ve found them to be second to none for vehicles both classic and modern.
My kombi is 48 years old this year and has been with Shannons since I bought it in 2010.

Ok, based on that info. from Service NSW, you’re looking at a vehicle that has been registered as a panel van with windows cut in.
There is every chance that the vehicle has had a camper conversion done but the details have not been altered with Service NSW…….that is a warning bell to me. Worst case scenario the pop top blows up when you’re driving and causes/suffers all sorts of damage……and yes, it’s happened to some on here.
No insurance company would cover the cost of the repairs as the vehicle is recorded as a panel van only.
Be very very careful.
Cheers,
Mark

(16-05-2024, 08:05 PM)Oldman Wrote: Many of our members, with Campers that are well over 30 years old and use them regularly for travel, have their vehicles with Shannons.
I’ve found them to be second to none for vehicles both classic and modern.
My kombi is 48 years old this year and has been with Shannons since I bought it in 2010.

Was on the phone with Shannons for 30min today and was ultimately told that they could not cover my van. If there is somewhere specifically I could talk to then I’d be happy to call them, but Shannons rep directed to CLI. Maybe it varies by state? The club plate registration here is far more restrictive than NSW (and perhaps elsewhere). Not viable to get club rego in QLD if you use for travel at all (other than to events/shows).