Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
types of fuel
I always use Shell V-Power. I haven't compared performance with others. Perhaps I'll try BP?
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
(18-01-2024, 06:40 PM)Mr Beckstar Wrote: I always use Shell V-Power. I haven't compared performance with others. Perhaps I'll try BP?

I generally use Shell V-Power too, but I have a feeling all the 95 fuel in Tas actually comes from the same supplier.  Only a 2 places that fuel is delivered into the big tanks and we aren't a big market relatively so each company buys and distributes from there. 

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(18-01-2024, 07:25 PM)Mordred Wrote: I generally use Shell V-Power too, but I have a feeling all the 95 fuel in Tas actually comes from the same supplier.  Only a 2 places that fuel is delivered into the big tanks and we aren't a big market relatively so each company buys and distributes from there. 

Adrian
With so few refinery’s left in Australia, isn’t it all the same stuff imported, probably from Asia, and then up to Shell, BP, Mobil, Ampol, & others, to input their own additives, or not, before retailing it?
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(18-01-2024, 07:51 PM)Grantus Wrote: With so few refinery’s left in Australia, isn’t it all the same stuff imported, probably from Asia, and then up to Shell, BP, Mobil, Ampol, & others, to input their own additives, or not, before retailing it?

I suspect that's the case with no Aus refineries. 
But what do the oil companies add to refined fuel to make it the RON they claim?
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
(18-01-2024, 08:31 PM)DavidH Wrote: I suspect that's the case with no Aus refineries. 
But what do the oil companies add to refined fuel to make it the RON they claim?
Cheers

I think there are different batches of RON imported, so nothing added to make a 91 into a 98. 

Just different additives, by different companies to each graded batch, resulting in different performance levels in various vehicles.

With that said, we have no way of knowing when paying top dollar for 98 at the bowser, that what’s flowing through the pump into the Kombi, isn’t coming from a 91 or E10 tank underground, do we?
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(18-01-2024, 09:09 PM)Grantus Wrote: I think there are different batches of RON imported, so nothing added to make a 91 into a 98. 

Just different additives, by different companies to each graded batch, resulting in different performance levels in various vehicles.

With that said, we have no way of knowing when paying top dollar for 98 at the bowser, that what’s flowing through the pump into the Kombi, isn’t coming from a 91 or E10 tank underground, do we?

I guess not, but for what it's worth the bowsers are only plumbed from one tank to one pump so they can't just swap and change the tank you're drawing from easily. They could however fill a tank meant for 98 with 95 I suppose. My father was a service station proprieter from the late 60's to the early 90's and I know he certainly didn't do anything like that. The most dodgy thing we did was recycle the left over go-kart fuel into the tanks when we got home from a meeting - so maybe 5 litres of 2 stroke fuel mixed into 5000 L of petrol in the tank.
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
(18-01-2024, 09:09 PM)Grantus Wrote: I think there are different batches of RON imported, so nothing added to make a 91 into a 98. 

I had the experience a few years ago where the E91 was dropped into the unleaded tank with dire results, a melted piston in a new engine.