Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
types of fuel
Hi guys

whats the best fuel to use, if been using the expensive fuel and iv been reading that its not good for an old kombi
(17-01-2024, 09:45 AM)kombiPOP Wrote: Hi guys

whats the best fuel to use, if been using the expensive fuel and iv been reading that its not good for an old kombi

does what you've read give a reason? (apart from octane rating)
Is you motor a standard compression ratio?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
See this previous forum discussion;
 https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=603

Also
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=237
1971 Sopru aka Doob
From a number of sources I have found that the 91 we have in Australia is pretty marginal compared to the 90 that was originally specified back when they were produced. A number of my mechanics recommend 95 at least even if listed as 91 compatible as they can tell the difference, with amongst other signs in particular spark plug life is close to half using 91.

95 is a better quality fuel with better additives in general and if you aren't using your bus for long periods of time is much more stable when left in the tank.  For a few extra cents a litre I use it in all my petrol powered items inc lawn mowers, outboards etc.  It sits around for months often and I always get a first pull start on everything, when the 91 in my fathers laws gear is very hit and miss after a week or so.  Mileage on 95 (if you are tuned well) can be more than a litre per 100 km better than 91.

98 for higher compression engines is good, but if you aren't getting it from a high volume servo it effectively degrades to 95 level once it has been in the tanks for a few weeks. And if you are running a standard engine you wont get any noticeable difference over 95.

Really is a experiment yourself to see what's best but running a better grade wont make things worse, just lighten you wallet to varying degrees.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
As others have suggested, experiment to see what works best for your needs. 

Our 3.0 litre H6 Subaru was 95RON recommended.
When Subaru developed the 3.6 litre it was modified to be 91RON.
I get better fuel consumption from 91 than I do from 95 or 98.

This article is worth a read...
Car industry counts down to cleaner fuel, to pave way for low-emission vehicles

PR
(17-01-2024, 02:37 PM)Mordred Wrote: From a number of sources I have found that the 91 we have in Australia is pretty marginal compared to the 90 that was originally specified back when they were produced. A number of my mechanics recommend 95 at least even if listed as 91 compatible as they can tell the difference, with amongst other signs in particular spark plug life is close to half using 91.

95 is a better quality fuel with better additives in general and if you aren't using your bus for long periods of time is much more stable when left in the tank.  For a few extra cents a litre I use it in all my petrol powered items inc lawn mowers, outboards etc.  It sits around for months often and I always get a first pull start on everything, when the 91 in my fathers laws gear is very hit and miss after a week or so.  Mileage on 95 (if you are tuned well) can be more than a litre per 100 km better than 91.

98 for higher compression engines is good, but if you aren't getting it from a high volume servo it effectively degrades to 95 level once it has been in the tanks for a few weeks. And if you are running a standard engine you wont get any noticeable difference over 95.

Really is a experiment yourself to see what's best but running a better grade wont make things worse, just lighten you wallet to varying degrees.

Adrian
 I agree with Adrian 91 is just an average fuel and the quality varies also, 95 is a much better fuel for the air and water cooled VW's. My opinion based on owning, driving and working on these cars since the mid 1960's.
And just to throw another spanner into the equation: Brand of fuel!

Personal experience, and thorough repeated testing, my T3’s consistently use 14.7 to 15.1 litres to cover 100kms using Caltex Vortex 98 grade fuel. 

Yet only use 11.9 to 12.4 litres to cover 100kms using BP Ultimate 98.

Substantial cost difference per 400kms each fill up, so also worth seeing which brand of fuel suits your motor better.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(17-01-2024, 05:52 PM)Grantus Wrote: And just to throw another spanner into the equation: Brand of fuel!

Personal experience, and thorough repeated testing, my T3’s consistently use 14.7 to 15.1 litres to cover 100kms using Caltex Vortex 98 grade fuel. 

Yet only use 11.9 to 12.4 litres to cover 100kms using BP Ultimate 98.

Substantial cost difference per 400kms each fill up, so also worth seeing which brand of fuel suits your motor better.
+1
BP is my go to for trips…….
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light