Kombi Club Australia
Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Printable Version

+- Kombi Club Australia (https://kombiclubaustralia.com)
+-- Forum: Help & Assistance (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: T3 Tech Clinic (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? (/showthread.php?tid=902)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 05:15 PM)Oldman Wrote: Driving my T2 every day has never worried me…….but then I drive to the road, weather and traffic conditions . Never even had a close call.  Big Grin
…Don’t take this the wrong way….…but why on earth would you try to compare an old vehicle with a modern one ?
Kombis we’re made to move cargo loads or groups of people. They are geared low for torque and will not challenge a WRX at the traffic lights unless dramatically modified…(…insert can of worms here !)
Of course, model variations will all have their differences.

Thanks for the insightful reply. It didn’t really concern me when driving my 1985 back in the States but it did come up as a point of conversation/consideration with the boss, but she too prefers the vintage look and features of T3 (she’s a keeper!)  Big Grin

Clearly not designed for speed but being designed as people/cargo movers I presume they are quite sturdy/safe, and surely the “they don’t build them like they used to” applies!

Everything is set. Electrical certificate is being done tomorrow morning and Sydney based engineer is meeting me at dealership on Monday arvo to do assessment there and will let me know if there is any issue upfront before proceeding (ie, minimal/no cost if so). But all going to plan, which seems likely, we will be driving north by Monday eve with QLD mod plates for seat and pop top done. Then just need to redo electrical certificate here in QLD before roadworthy, which I expect it to pass based on NSW electrical certificate and pink/green slip. Local engineer quoted me a higher price to do mod plates than Sydney engineer, so would rather do it upfront because if there is an unexpected issue (eg, seat needs to be repalced) then this could well influence final purchase decision. Waiting for a quote from local company regarding cost to replace fold down seat with new complaint one just in case this is necessary as knowing this cost in advance will be helpful if it becomes a critcal factor in final decision on Monday. Nearly there! 

Bit chilly down south but all part of the adventure!  Big Grin

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Oldman - 30-05-2024

Certainly sounds like you’ve lined up all the ducks !
At the end of the day ( and has been mentioned before) the Dept. of Transport and Main Roads Qld. will be authority to need to appease. They will either accept the vehicle and associated paperwork that you’ve sorted, or require further Engineering.
Good luck ! Keep us posted on how you go…..

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 05:55 PM)Oldman Wrote: Certainly sounds like you’ve lined up all the ducks !
At the end of the day ( and has been mentioned before) the Dept. of Transport and Main Roads Qld. will be authority to need to appease. They will either accept the vehicle and associated paperwork that you’ve sorted, or require further Engineering.
Good luck ! Keep us posted on how you go…..

Indeed but doing everything I can to provide all required documents so as to minimize such a situation from arising. If engineer has issued mod plates then wouldn’t expect Transport to require further engineering because this would be identified by engineer? No way to know for sure but reckon odds are low enough that it is worthwhile proceeding (presuming electrical and engineering goes smoothly).

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - syncro - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 06:31 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: Indeed but doing everything I can to provide all required documents so as to minimize such a situation from arising. If engineer has issued mod plates then wouldn’t expect Transport to require further engineering because this would be identified by engineer? No way to know for sure but reckon odds are low enough that it is worthwhile proceeding (presuming electrical and engineering goes smoothly).

Good luck and let us know the outcome. The electrical part is very minor. Even if you have to rewire it the cost will be minimal. It's just a RCB, stranded cable and dual pole outlets.

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 31-05-2024

This 2007 2.5L manual diesel just popped up. Debating how tempted I should be to investigate trying to see it on the way to Sydney?:

2007 TDI (gumtree)

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 31-05-2024

Talked to seller and this 2007 sounds potentially amazing. Frontline campers purchased from NSW government and did conversion in 2011. Seller bought from Frontline. All service records and engineering/mod paperwork available. Has solar, etc. Too good not to go see so will stop there on way to Sydney. Have standing appointment with local mechanic for Tuesday if all progresses. When I asked him about it he said “fastidiously maintained”. Interestingly it is registered as “ambulance motor home”. Note that 4WD refers to 4motion all wheel drive as it has an Audi engine in it (not Synchro):

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Melissa - 01-06-2024

I would definitely check it out -if its on your way - it could be a sign that its popped up just as you are in the area.

That screenshot you added has the colour listed as red - what's the go there?

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 01-06-2024

(01-06-2024, 09:18 AM)Melissa Wrote: I would definitely check it out -if its on your way - it could be a sign that its popped up just as you are in the area.

That screenshot you added has the colour listed as red - what's the go there?

That’s the plan. Flight booked to Brisbane instead and car rental pickup in BNE and drop-off at Gold Coast airport. If van isn’t as good as it sounds then we’ll fly to Sydney from Gold Coast on Monday and stick with that plan, otherwise will hang around northern NSW to sort out mechanical inspection, etc with 2007. Bit more dear but thinking it could be worthwhile in the long-run, although hard for me to part with the vintage style of 1991 T3.

Have been in touch with local mechanic who can have a look on Tuesday if we feel this is the “clear winner”. Need to check with Service NSW about options regarding rego transfer (can private seller transfer NSW rego to me as QLD resident or is the only option to turn in plates and get unregistered permit to drive back to Townsville)? 

My guess is that it was originally red, as per some photos I’ve seen online, but when Frontline purchased from NSW government to convert to campervan and sell that they changed colour to white as they, presumably, thought this would be more appealing to customers? I personally would have preferred red but can see why Frontline would think white was more appealing to masses and thus more likely to sell. 

With all engineering reports in hand the process of transferring to QLD should be much more straightforward than for 1991 that was lacking such paperwork. Already have the QLD Transport form to apply for interstate modifications, which would be the best outcome. But even if I need to involve a local engineer I’ve been told by several that having all the original engineering certificates make it a simple process to issue QLD mod plates. Also not overly concerned about 240V certificate because campervan conversion was only done 13 years ago by Frontline plus wiring was checked when current owner installed solar system.

Either way, will be an interesting adventure!  Big Grin

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - syncro - 01-06-2024

You can drive it for 14 days before you have to transfer the registration. Find out if it is cheaper to transfer it in NSW or QLD. I think QLD is cheaper. I bought a car in QLD and saved a lot of money by transferring it in QLD to my NSW address. I then transferred it to NSW rego within the 14 days. You only have to pay the stamp duty once.

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 01-06-2024

(01-06-2024, 01:02 PM)syncro Wrote: You can drive it for 14 days before you have to transfer the registration. Find out if it is cheaper to transfer it in NSW or QLD. I think QLD is cheaper. I bought a car in QLD and saved a lot of money by transferring it in QLD to my NSW address. I then transferred it to NSW rego within the 14 days. You only have to pay the stamp duty once.

Thanks for the insight. Saw some posts where people were saying that in order to transfer NSW rego into my name so that I can drive it back to QLD that I’d need to provide a address somewhere in NSW (eg, caravan park)? Or not sure what you mean by “drive it for 14 days before transferring registration”? Drive it on NSW plates? But wouldn’t this still be linked to seller’s name and not mine?

If this van is the winner then may be be easier to go the unregistered vehicle permit route to drive back on then do roadworthy/rego/stamp duty in QLD. Only $30 for 7 days permit. If seller gets rego refund then perhaps that savings will get passed to me.

Regarding stamp duty, do they typically go off the sales receipt value or the blue book value? This could make a big difference in amount of stamp duty at $2 per $100 of value.