Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move T3 pop-top into QLD?
(29-05-2024, 06:18 AM)syncro Wrote: Just guessing but the previous owner may have been using cheap diesel or doing a lot of short trips.

What is sticking out between your legs?

So short trips aren’t good for 2.0l TDI engine?

Not my legs but that is a good question  Tongue

Feeling concerned about the things highlighted by inspection, seems van has had a bit of a “hard life” thus far, so there could be persistent problems.
(29-05-2024, 07:26 AM)Krazywaffle Wrote: So short trips aren’t good for 2.0l TDI engine?

Short trips are very bad for diesels.
Maybe you could chase up the T3 inspection with the VW centre that carried out the check ?
They may be able to provide more info. rather than ticks and crosses.....
My guts say that the T5 has had a well travelled life.
Same owner from NSW relocated to Old. and now selling........
Not that there is anything wrong with that, just that there seems to be a few red flags.....

A straight T3 with a VW centre's clean bill of health sounds like a better option to me.
You were always going to have to get the seat & pop top inspected at expense....
As I say, just my 2 bob's worth and I haven't seen and don't know either vehicle.....but I do know quite a few happy T3 owners with well looked after vehicles.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Look at the service costs of that diesel Huh . Hurts my wallet as an owner. Was involved with a business running 4 Siac modern diesels & 1 was always in for mind boggling service costs to clear faults! $2,500 up to $10 k  each time.
Go the T3 Wink . If you've got an old school mechanic they'll stay on top of it Tongue  & cheaper. Short wheel base a bonus!
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Thanks heaps for the kind replies and insights. Yes, all signs are pointing to the 5 speed manual 1991 T3 GL  Big Grin

Think I have the QLD mod plate issue sorted via an engineer based in Sydney who is certified in QLD and NSW. Have standing plan to bring van to him next Tuesday to get both plates done. Waiting to hear back on quote from dealership about getting local sparky to do NSW electrical safety certificate for van as apparently this is needed by engineer for him to complete QLD certifications. Been continuing to try and find an ideal local engineer but each one I talk to leaves me feeling really unsure of what their view/cost might be, whereas the engineer in Sydney is apprised of all info (including DMT Typed Approved 83131 info from Transport NSW) and is saying that it will be straightforward to do, so here’s hoping. Will clarify his confidence today as can’t afford to get stuck in Sydney if he runs into an issue.

Dealership told me that all they need is a copy of my QLD drivers license to create a “pending file” that gets submitted to Transport NSW, which gives me clear title to the van and thus can legally drive it until rego expires? Not sure if this is something I need to confirm with NSW/QLD Transport? As a dealership I’d think they know how such things work but not something I’ve done before so trying to think through the potential curve balls/roadblocks.
Also, if 2.1L petrol T3 engine doesn’t have timing belt or timing chain, then what does it use? Or no such (expensive)  component that requires changing at regular intervals (eg, every ~100,000km)? Thanks.
(30-05-2024, 08:26 AM)Krazywaffle Wrote: Also, if 2.1L petrol T3 engine doesn’t have timing belt or timing chain, then what does it use? Or no such (expensive)  component that requires changing at regular intervals (eg, every ~100,000km)? Thanks.
Gears and pushrods that last forever without any maintenance.
(30-05-2024, 11:33 AM)syncro Wrote: Gears and pushrods that last forever without any maintenance.

Thanks for the insight. Good to know!
What are people’s thoughts regarding the risk of driving older Kombi without airbags nor engine in front (but with bull bars)? Is this a notable risk compared to newer car designs?
Driving my T2 every day has never worried me…….but then I drive to the road, weather and traffic conditions . Never even had a close call.  Big Grin
…Don’t take this the wrong way….…but why on earth would you try to compare an old vehicle with a modern one ?
Kombis were made to move cargo loads or groups of people. They are geared low for torque and will not challenge a WRX at the traffic lights unless dramatically modified…(…insert can of worms here !)
Of course, model variations will all have their differences.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light