Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing Window Winder Mechanism
Courtesy of Mothership:

I’ll just go through the steps I did to remove it all. I couldn’t find that much info about how to remove it properly so I learnt as I went. 
Some of it you may find a better way to do it but whatever you feel is better. 

I apologise in advance, it’s hard to describe somethings without pictures.

Firstly wind down the window.

To get the winder handle off, peel back the plastic rubber stuff not much just until you can see a screw. Unscrew that and the handle is off. There are no nuts at all removing and installing

[Image: IMG_3217.jpg]

The next part is to remove the plastic from the door handle to get the door card off properly. Near the leaver there is a dip and on one end of this is a small opening. Use a screwdriver and gently pry out the indent. 

[Image: IMG_3218.jpg]

After doing that there is a screw and a weird washer type thing unscrew that and remove the outer plastic that surrounds the leaver.

[Image: IMG_3219.jpg]

Now that the door cover is off the real work begins. Now you can see where the window mechanism is in the door. Remove the glass from the slider, there should be two screws to get it off. 

Gently lower the glass to the bottom.

Quote:The next step is to remove the mechanism from the door. To the middle of the door there is the long straight part to the mechanism (runner) with 4 bolts (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom). They may be a bit tight so use a bit of the wonderful CRC or wd40. 

[Image: IMG_3212.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3210.jpg]

Next remove the winding part again just 2 bolts.

Now to remove the mechanism out the quarter glass window has to be moved. In the door bellow the quarter window is a round hole and in this is a screw. This is one of two things holding it in. Remove the screw and move to the top of the door. 

[Image: IMG_3209.jpg]

Along the top of the door is a felt track where, when the window is wound up sits in. With a pair of long nose pliers grab the felt and pull it out, not all of it probably until half is free from the metal. 

[Image: IMG_3213.jpg] 
Quote:You should now see a small screw, remove this. Now the quarter window is free. All you have to do now is move is sideways so that the window mechanism can be moved freely out. Moving the window is a tricky job; mine was pretty secured in and took a bit of effort to move. 

[Image: IMG_3215.jpg]

Note: the metal thing in the pic is what hold the felt in and obstructs the quarter window when removing it.

The trick is to push down on the window because there is a small bit off metal that keeps the felt in place that’s in the way of moving the quarter window.You don’t have to fully remove the window to get the mechanism out. Just move it enough until the mechanism can slide out.

[Image: IMG_3216.jpg]

Now installing the new mechanism. As I told before I got mine from the bus stop. I put it in to check it fitted properly...wrong. There were a few things wrong with it; first it was larger in shape and length. When the winder part went in its hole but where the runner was, to the right of the door, it didn’t line up with the holes, big problem. 

[Image: IMG_3167.jpg]

Just me seeing it the new one will fit and trying to overcome the problem

The other problem was that it was bent wrong. I fixed that problem by just bending it back slowly and gently doing little bits at a time. There was nothing I could to about the length. I bolted the winder part and the bottom of the winder. There was allot of bending and replacing until I got it right or close to. At the top of the runner where the bolts were I had to drill 2 new holes (due to the length and I couldn’t bend it far enough). 

[Image: IMG_3211.jpg]

Note: I had two goes at drilling the new holes to get it just right. In the end, with the one the left, the holes were close together so the bolt wouldnt hold properly so I used a washer.

Once I was happy, I screwed on the window to the little metal rectangle on the runner. Make sure the window is attached to the metal thing the right way or the window is loose and will fall off. The only thing wrong about it now is the last 10mm of winding the window up it becomes tough as the straight thing on the mechanism that moves starts to run up onto the bend of the mechanism (due to it being larger). If you didn’t have this problem installing should be very simple and straight forward.

Now push back the quarter window, put the little screw back in. Put the felt back in. Put the screw at the bottom of the window. And that’s it.

I hope that makes sense and helps you.
I tried to put in all the info I could.