Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subaru Gearbox Conversions
There has been a lot of posts in the US about the longevity of using Subaru boxes in Kombis/Beetles. This makes interesting reading.

The NEWS and the FACTS.
I received the independent testing results done by a certified testing facility. These guys test stuff for all kinds of industries including state agencies like NASA & other of the same caliber.
The results were the pinion gears were all with in original Subaru specs, while the ring gears all tested 58 to 59 which is also in specification, however when the teeth were tested they were soft measuring 53 to 54. When a harder gear like the pinion is driving a softer gear like the ring gear it will wear the teeth off like we have now seen mutiple pictures of. Softer gears are used in sports like drag racing and off road racing. They are done like that so that they can take high impact loads with out breaking. This comes at a price. The price of frequent replacements as they will wear out quickly.
Though the research and reading mutiple stories of how Subarugears r&p sets have failed either in a few thousand miles to lasting as long as around 20,000 miles it now makes sense. Todd gives out replacements to keep the people quiet so he can sell more. He may have to give out a few sets, but to every set he gives away he sells 5 more.
The facts do not stop there, the main fact that the ring gear is being driven on the cost side is the true root of the failures. The softness was done to allow them to last long enough to keep the business going. The ring and pinion can NOT be designed to drive the correct way in this transaxle. That is a fact that two well known transaxle engineers have stated. Therefor you make a part you know is going to fail and you make up excuses why it failed and hope people don't share their stories.
Sorry guys I honestly wish I had better news. You can not drive a ring and pinion backwards and expect it to last. Hard or soft, the ring and pinion made by Subarugears will fail. It may lose teeth, or ever break a pinion head off from deflection, and or blow out the side of the case as the ring and pinion try to go opposite directions due to the ramp side of the gears. It will fail it is only time.
Phil

What you have stated is "an opinion". A statement that expresses a feeling, an attitude, a value judgment, or a belief. It is a statement that is neither true nor false.

A fact is a statement that can be verified. It can be proven to be true or false through objective evidence.

Can you post some evidence to prove your opinion is actually a fact?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(04-04-2024, 03:20 PM)Barry Wrote: Phil
What you have stated is "an opinion". A statement that expresses a feeling, an attitude, a value judgment, or a belief. It is a statement that is neither true nor false.
A fact is a statement that can be verified. It can be proven to be true or false through objective evidence.
Can you post some evidence to prove your opinion is actually a fact?

Barry,

It is not my opinion. It is just something to think about. I have never had a bad opinion about these conversions (except in syncros).

The guy does sound like he knows what he is talking about. It actually sounds more like a theory than an opinion. The lifespan of these gearboxes appear to be not very good and he has researched the problem.

Don't shoot the messenger.
"The ring and pinion can NOT be designed to drive the correct way in this transaxle."
I accept the soft gear face argument.
Engineers have capacity!
Why not be able to drive the correct way?
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Can you please post a source, or a link Phill, where that article came from.

Just interested as to whether the author is a disgruntled customer, a qualified assessing engineer, or a competitor business?  Rolleyes
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(04-04-2024, 07:47 PM)DavidH Wrote: Why not be able to drive the correct way?

Because a Subi motor spins the other way
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
(04-04-2024, 09:00 PM)Barry Wrote: Because a Subi motor spins the other way

Is that why so many Subaru drivers, sit at 10 -15kph below the posted speed limit when there’s nowhere to overtake them on single lane roads, or in the right lane on dual carriageways?   Rolleyes
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(04-04-2024, 07:47 PM)DavidH Wrote: Why not be able to drive the correct way?

Because the gearbox is the other way around. The same problem as formula vees. You end up with 4 reverse gears.
(04-04-2024, 08:37 PM)Grantus Wrote: Can you please post a source, or a link Phill, where that article came from.

Just interested as to whether the author is a disgruntled customer, a qualified assessing engineer, or a competitor business?  Rolleyes

I don't know if I can find it again. The rest of his posts were also very objective. There was also posted a photo of the metallurgy report.

It just sounded like an interesting theory as why these do not always last long in a VW.

Another theory that sounds sensible is about the diff loading. In a Subaru the load is over 2 diffs, A Subaru is lighter so you are using more engine power over more time with a Kombi.
Hopefully Rick will chime in.
He is in the process of hooking a Subi gear box up to his current Type 4 before he installs hi 2.3L Type 4
76 Bay Microbus - Woody