Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
problem starting after 20min drive
Hi all

the other day i drove about 20min, stopped at maccas for a drink and had trouble starting it again, drove another 5min and it would not start, had to push start it, drove 30min home, turned it off and tried to start again and fired up straight away, someone on the facebook page had the same problem and fixed with new starter motor
question is - is it the starter motor and if so whats the best starter to get, just kampers are out of the Hella type and only have to repo in stock
(28-03-2024, 07:51 AM)kombiPOP Wrote: Hi all

the other day i drove about 20min, stopped at maccas for a drink and had trouble starting it again, drove another 5min and it would not start, had to push start it, drove 30min home, turned it off and tried to start again and fired up straight away, someone on the facebook page had the same problem and fixed with new starter motor
question is - is it the starter motor and if so whats the best starter to get, just kampers are out of the Hella type and only have to repo in stock

Sounds more like solenoid to me...
Similar thread with another member a week or two ago, have a look at T3 starting issue thread
What vintage is your vehicle?
PR
That was my T3 with the issues.

There are several things that will cause this
  • key switch - high probability
  • starter motor - unlikely
  • solenoid - medium
  • bushing - high
  • voltage drop - high

Can you use a multimeter?

See if you are getting volts to the solenoid.
If not - it is likely to be the key switch
Worthwhile changing anyway.
Can be a bitch if never changed as they have a shear bolt that needs an easy out for the first time.
As long as an allen key has been put in, its easy after that

Starter motor itself rarley fails.
The bushing in the gearbox housing is likely as the solenoid jams against this
A sharp whack can provide relief, but it would need to be replaced.

The solenoid itself can also fail.

The hot start relay kit, in my new opinion, is a good option.
Relatively cheap first option and a good add on anyway.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy