Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing Accelerator Cable
Courtesy of Rev (Ian) :

I have needed to change the accelerator cable for a while now and I finally got time today.

You will need:

A new accelerator cable 

10mm socket 

10mm spanner

Set of Alan Keys

Grease

I Also Used

A sandwich bag

Some Kite String  

First things I did was remove the covering plate under the front of the car using the 10mm socket.

[Image: P1010031.jpg]

[Image: P1010034.jpg]

Next (moving to the engine) I loosened the 10mm nut that attached the accelerator cable to the carby linkage (using the 10mm spanner) and removed the springs.

[Image: P1010040.jpg]

In order to be able to pull the cable through you will also need to remove the bit that attaches to the carby linage from the end if the cable with the alan key.

[Image: P1010043.jpg]

With the cable fully released from the carby linkage I pulled the cable through the fire wall from behind the engine (crawling in from behind the wheels). I was a little concerned about pushing the new cable through the tube so I decided to tie some string to the end of the cable before pulling it through. I have a collection of kites so I used one of my spare kite strings but I guess you could use fishing line or other heavy duty string.

[Image: P1010045.jpg]

The cable pulled through with the string attached without any problems. 

[Image: P1010048.jpg]

I knew I had to lubricate the new cable and while Doc suggested graphite powder, the old cable was already covered in grease and the tube the cable goes through was full of it as well. So I decided to stick with the grease.

[Image: P1010049.jpg]

To lubricate the cable I decided to fill a sandwich bag with grease and pass the cable through the bag.  

[Image: P1010050.jpg]
With the cable passing through the bag of grease I tied the string I had pulled through to the end of the new cable. 
With the bag of grease and cable in my left hand, I pulled on the string with my right and slowly pulled the new cable through.

I couldn't hold the bag, pull on the string and take a picture at the same time but hopefully you will get the idea.

[Image: P1010054.jpg]

The newly greased cable pulled through without a problem and it was an easy task connecting everything back together again.

I did lubricate the bit that connects the cable to the carby linkage 

[Image: P1010062.jpg]

Don't forget to swap the rubber boot from the old cable to the new before you put everything back together, it's much easier. I learnt this the hard way 

[Image: P1010063.jpg]

Put the covering plate back in place and your done. All up it took a little over an hour, should be quicker if your not stopping to take photos.

(04-07-2022, 12:32 PM)Oldman Wrote: With the cable passing through the bag of grease I tied the string I had pulled through to the end of the new cable. 
With the bag of grease and cable in my left hand, I pulled on the string with my right and slowly pulled the new cable through. 

I couldn't hold the bag, pull on the string and take a picture at the same time but hopefully you will get the idea.

[Image: P1010054.jpg]

The newly greased cable pulled through without a problem and it was an easy task connecting everything back together again.

I did lubricate the bit that connects the cable to the carby linkage 

[Image: P1010062.jpg]

Don't forget to swap the rubber boot from the old cable to the new before you put everything back together, it's much easier. I learnt this the hard way 

[Image: P1010063.jpg]

Put the covering plate back in place and your done. All up it took a little over an hour, should be quicker if your not stopping to take photos.