Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olives
Does anyone know anything about green olives. 

Good friend’s gave us an olive tree 8 years ago and we have finally got some olives growing. 

I will say it doesn’t really fit in with our native back garden but the friends live in Grand Rapids Michigan so they don’t really know what we are up to 

Anyway, when do we pick them and then what????
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Chrissy and Paul are the ones to ask - they have the best olive oil!
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
(04-02-2024, 07:55 PM)Melissa Wrote: Chrissy and Paul are the ones to ask - they have the best olive oil!

What Mel said ^^^^. 

They are the award winning olive growers, and makers of the superb Rusty Bus Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
I will pm them. 

Thanks
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(04-02-2024, 06:47 PM)Barry Wrote: Does anyone know anything about green olives. 

Good friend’s gave us an olive tree 8 years ago and we have finally got some olives growing. 

I will say it doesn’t really fit in with our native back garden but the friends live in Grand Rapids Michigan so they don’t really know what we are up to 

Anyway, when do we pick them and then what????

I too have an olive tree ,and mine is a good 70 + yrs old.,all though I get a good 15 kg of olive's  each year I have only once bottle two large jars of them ,but they were black olives, I can only assume  that if you want  green ones then you pick then early, if you want black you leave them on the tree longer.
Might be able to get more info on Google if that helps..,by the way the one's  I bottled weren't to bad but not as good as the bought ones.,all I did was put in in a jar of water with heaps of salt n left them there for 6 mths.
(04-02-2024, 07:55 PM)Melissa Wrote: Chrissy and Paul are the ones to ask - they have the best olive oil!

(04-02-2024, 08:11 PM)Grantus Wrote: What Mel said ^^^^. 

They are the award winning olive growers, and makers of the superb Rusty Bus Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

You’re both very kind, thank you!  Heart
Vera - ‘75 Bay  
I am by no means an expert, but you can pick them when green and black. Black are just more ripe. I prefer black as you know when they are ripe.  DO NOT TRY A RAW ONE! They taste horrible and you will only do it once.

Here is link with a good easy way to prepare them.  It does take some time but it is worth it.

https://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fact-s...ng-olives/

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)