Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What did you do to your kombi today ?
(02-09-2022, 04:24 PM)T1 Terry Wrote: How does the club rego work Melissa? Is Kombi Club Australia now recognised as a motor club for the purposes of conditional registration? I can get historic or classic car rego for Kombi for only $85 if that's the case .....

T1 Terry

Hey Terry, unfortunately KCA is not recognised for Historic rego. as we are not and "actual', registered motor vehicle club, we are an online entity only.
You'll need to join a recognised and registered club. I'm sure Melissa will give you the details.....
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(02-09-2022, 04:24 PM)T1 Terry Wrote: How does the club rego work Melissa? Is Kombi Club Australia now recognised as a motor club for the purposes of conditional registration? I can get historic or classic car rego for Kombi for only $85 if that's the case .....

T1 Terry

Sorry Terry - we are a club in name only - not in legislation with office bearers, meetings, fees and subscriptions. It varies from state to state but in NSW you need to be a member of a club that does all of those things. I am a member of a small car club that has recognition with NSW RMS. A special form is completed and signed off by our secretary and each year it gets handed in again. It is definitely worthwhile financially but you need to search out in your area for a club that you can join - it doesn't have to be a VW only club - the club I am in started out as hot rods but most of our members have very different cars such as an Impala, BMW's, Toranas, Fords and even a Woodie.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
Thank you both for your replies, I thought that was the case but it was worth asking  Big Grin I wonder if the AEVA is registered for such things? I doubt there are too many EV's build before '97 though  Rolleyes

T1 Terry
Not me but Andy has spent a couple of weekends on Molly doing general maintenance in preparation for her big trips to Nimbin MardiGrass for the Kombi Konvoy and then two weeks later we are off to Old Bar. 
Oil changes, new distributor, spark plugs, engine seal and auxiliary battery amongst the mix. 
When he’s finished I take over with all the packing ♥️
1967 Blue Bus Panelvan, 1976 Molly Sopru Campmobile, 1977 BayMonty Ute 
Been assisting for many weeks now to get a 55 Split with Dual sided door Panel van ready for the road with me sorting the electrical install using the existing harness where possible(most of it), and also some assisting with rear interior refresh on a 74 Bay. Also a few tidy up jobs replacing fuel filler rubbers, steering coupling, upsidedown gear shift plate windscreen wiper spindle rubbers etc on another 74 Bay owned by my cousin.  Still have a few jobs on these to go and waiting on parts but also have a few jobs to do on mine before our possible Oldbar/Revolks expedition in a few weeks.  

Been a lot of work but really satisfying getting things done.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
Had a tachometer fitted some time ago to my bay window and it worked well for 5 months then for some reason it decided to jump all over the place. Have not been able to find out why , any one have any ideas why would be a help.
It does have elect ignition
(05-09-2022, 01:03 PM)Chris Taylor Wrote: Had a tachometer fitted some time ago to my bay window and it worked well for 5 months then for some reason it decided to jump all over the place. Have not been able to find out why , any one have any ideas why would be a help.

Chris

It can be several things I have heard, all electrical.
My guess will be a loose earth seeing as it has just started.
Could be condenser failing as well.

There is some good info here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto...8165c7cda5
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
With regard to the erratic Tachometer ... I had the same problem .. I checked all connections, replaced the ignition condenser .etc..but I still had the problem. I am guessing there is some electrical noise source that I could not find & eliminate   In discussion with instrumentation guys it seems the standard fix for older vehicles is to add a diode to the lead from the -ve ignition coil terminal to the distributor. I inserter a 4004 diode and the tacho has worked fine ever since.
See attached a Service Bulletin from AISAT Instruments in relation to VDO ignition Tachometers.

Attached Files
.pdf   VDO Tachometer fix.pdf (Size: 299.32 KB / Downloads: 1)
1971 Sopru aka Doob
(05-09-2022, 01:03 PM)Chris Taylor Wrote: Had a tachometer fitted some time ago to my bay window and it worked well for 5 months then for some reason it decided to jump all over the place. Have not been able to find out why , any one have any ideas why would be a help.

What brand is your tachometer? I had two have the needle rotate 360degrees when you started the engine, it only started doing it once I changed over to electronic ignition. Changed the tachometer to the new at the time Smiths gauge that looks like an original instrument cluster , never had a problem since. Yes I did have a diode in before hand as that was required by the instructions.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(05-09-2022, 09:56 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: What brand is your tachometer? I had two have the needle rotate 360degrees when you started the engine, it only started doing it once I changed over to electronic ignition. Changed the tachometer to the new at the time Smiths gauge that looks like an original instrument cluster , never had a problem since. Yes I did have a diode in before hand as that was required by the instructions.

Hi wayne ,good to hear from you,,,The brand is an  SAAS  .It is interesting you that you should mention that "re" electronic ignition.
As a chap that David, my son in law, bought a Beetle from told me the self same thing, but what throws me out a bit is why it worked well for a few months before going haywire.
At least NOW I have a possible path to follow towards a solution.