Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent Gear Selection Issue.....
Bugger. 
It’s in good hands. 
Will be better soon
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Yeah, can't really complain....the build was over 14 years ago and we've clocked over 250,000 ks.
Never had an issue other than alternator, so I reckon we've done alright...
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Hi Mark, 
Sad Sad but the reality of these old buses are they bite our timings at the wrong time Sad . Think of all the great Kombi times you've had & how much more reliable your bus will be after.
& the fun you've had Wink .

Better days ahead. Will post Bus Stop photos for everyones pleasure.
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Thanks David and why I have no hesitation to tip the required $$ into getting it back to its former glory, mechanically........
Cheers,
Mark

(10-02-2024, 11:59 AM)Oldman Wrote: Ok, update on this issue.....that is now issues ....
Took my bus out to my mechanic to see if he could find out what's going on.
Dropped the engine and separated the gearbox to check the clutch components .
As soon as the gearbox was separated, the needle bearing on the end of the crankshaft just fell apart......great !  Rolleyes
Looking at the gearbox, with nose-cone removed all components were in place and working perfectly....no distortion or crack in that support bracket.
At the back of the gearbox however, the pinion had play within its bearing - ie the bearing was perfect but there was slop between the pinion shaft and the inner race.
Prognosis is that the case hardening has failed and the shaft itself has started to wear......great....again  Rolleyes

So, everything is now in the parts washer prepping for calibration prior to re-building.
Unfortunately it's not going to be completed, run in with appropriate services prior to Easter, so we've had to cancel our Bus Stop plans.

It never rains, it pours.

Sorry to see this Mark, i forgot about the spigot bearing collapse being a regular problem but it looks like it was time for work on the box. If you need the box you are welcome to it but from memory the crown wheel had a chipped tooth and the pinion needs to be matched to the crown wheel. Best wishes with the repair and back on the road soon.
Many thanks for your offer/s Les, much appreciated.
It's in good hands now and we'll be rolling again soon enough.
Cheers,
Mark