Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type of glue for cab door rubbers
Hi All,

I would like to thank all that assisted and provided advice throughout 2023 and wish all a Happy New Year for 2024.

Can anybody recommend a glue product to attach new cab door rubbers please. and sliding door rubber seal.

Also, any tips would be appreciated .

Would the rubbers hold without glue ?

My understanding is to fit the new door seals prior to gluing to ensure fitting ,closure of the doors and some trimming maybe required. 

I am assuming liquid nails from Bunnings is not a good option ? or is it ok

Any advise would be helpful.

Regards
Klaus 75 Bay
Small amounts of contact glue, are the best option. 

Just did the Single Cab doors with some left over Selleys shoe repair contact glue.  Small dabs on the door, in the places it needed it, press the seal onto the dabs and into place, to coat the rubbers with the glue in the matching spots, then remove the rubber. Allow the glue to totally dry on both surfaces, before permanently mating them back together again.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-50ml...lsrc=aw.ds
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(29-12-2023, 03:41 PM)Grantus Wrote: Small amounts of contact glue, are the best option. 

Just did the Single Cab doors with some left over Selleys shoe repair contact glue.  Small dabs on the door, in the places it needed it, press the seal onto the dabs and into place, to coat the rubbers with the glue in the matching spots, then remove the rubber. Allow the glue to totally dry on both surfaces, before permanently mating them back together again.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-50ml...lsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the quick response and the Bunnings info. A task for me next week.
Much appreciated
Last car I did I used contact glue that vw supply for contacting rubber to paint on your car. part no# D 002 100. I had to order mine from the vw dealer spare parts department and they got it in for me from Germany, it's hard to get and expensive. It is designed to go onto paint work and you can remove it without removing the paint like some other contact adhesive will do.

To me with your sliding door you don't need any glue to fix the rubber into place, the groove around the door opening is enough to hold the rubber in place and it takes a bit of work to make sure the rubber is correctly seated into the groove.

For the front doors it comes down to what door rubbers you got. Genuine German style (vewib brand) are to thick and hard down the hinge side and depends on your doors to body may need shaving and contact glue down hinge side. The rest of the door rubber you can normally get away with no glue as the groove is good enough to hold the rubber in place.
If you get Airhead made front door rubbers ,I found you don't need any glue at all and the rubber compound down the hinge side is made softer then the German counter parts.
The Mexican rubbers buy at your own peril. 

If you still got original rubbers on your kombi be careful when you pull them off the car, You may still have the little metal clips that hold the rubber onto the door around the hole the stay goes through on your doors. Either they stay on the door or the rubber. They may also be long gone. I never noticed them when I did my first kombi up, didn't no they existed until I did my second kombi up then I notice them on the door and worked out what they are for.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Further to Waynes post, my T3 Door rubbers have 4 clips, 3 at the front and one at the rear. My seals were held only by these clips for several years, after a PO used a bulk amount of glue, right around the doors, which was a frustrating and time consuming exercise to remove.

When I finally “bit the bullet”, and accepted that the new seals wouldn’t always stay where they should without some glue, the solution needed was just 4 small dabs. 1 at the bottom corner at the wheel arch, and 3 across the wheel arch bottom part of the seal, to do the job.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(29-12-2023, 08:18 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: Last car I did I used contact glue that vw supply for contacting rubber to paint on your car. part no# D 002 100. I had to order mine from the vw dealer spare parts department and they got it in for me from Germany, it's hard to get and expensive. It is designed to go onto paint work and you can remove it without removing the paint like some other contact adhesive will do.

To me with your sliding door you don't need any glue to fix the rubber into place, the groove around the door opening is enough to hold the rubber in place and it takes a bit of work to make sure the rubber is correctly seated into the groove.

For the front doors it comes down to what door rubbers you got. Genuine German style (vewib brand) are to thick and hard down the hinge side and depends on your doors to body may need shaving and contact glue down hinge side. The rest of the door rubber you can normally get away with no glue as the groove is good enough to hold the rubber in place.
If you get Airhead made front door rubbers ,I found you don't need any glue at all and the rubber compound down the hinge side is made softer then the German counter parts.
The Mexican rubbers buy at your own peril. 

If you still got original rubbers on your kombi be careful when you pull them off the car, You may still have the little metal clips that hold the rubber onto the door around the hole the stay goes through on your doors. Either they stay on the door or the rubber. They may also be long gone. I never noticed them when I did my first kombi up, didn't no they existed until I did my second kombi up then I notice them on the door and worked out what they are for.

Thanks Wayne, always a great help,Not sure type of rubbers I have .but will give it a shot.