Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whining sometimes gear change
Hi All, 1975 Kombi

Very seldom I get a slight whining noise from first gear and reverse.  No grinding through gears when driving.

Only happens from stop position , whence 1st gear and reverse.

It is only for a split second or so and occurs occasionally, like a month ago and I have driven the van since every few days, and today after not driving for a week.

Any thoughts, is something on its way out...slowly ?

Any adjustments can be done ...clutch cable if you think ?

Am I not disengaging the clutch quick enough  

There is nothing untoward when driving and changing gears.

Has anybody come across this with their van ?

Regards
Klaus
Have you checked the oil level in the transmission? There are a million possibilities.
As Les posted...start simple...check the oil level.
Kombi level, undo the filler nut on the side of the transmission...oil should be just below the level of the hole.
Could be a thrust bearing on the way out, or pinion gear or 1st gear, or reverse gear.....many, many options.
Adjusting the clutch wouldn't fix a whine in my opinion (and experience  Wink)
Good luck, a gearbox rebuild will be $2.5K upwards depending what's done and who you use.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(15-12-2023, 05:54 PM)grumble Wrote: Have you checked the oil level in the transmission? There are a million possibilities.

Shall check, never thought of that, but just wondering why it would just affect first and reverse. but will investigate
Thanks
(15-12-2023, 06:08 PM)Oldman Wrote: As Les posted...start simple...check the oil level.
Kombi level, undo the filler nut on the side of the transmission...oil should be just below the level of the hole.
Could be a thrust bearing on the way out, or pinion gear or 1st gear, or reverse gear.....many, many options.
Good luck, a gearbox rebuild will be $2.5K upwards depending what's done and who you use.

Ok won`t adjust clutch but check oil level . thanks for the good luck and rebuild price  Smile Smile
(15-12-2023, 06:08 PM)Oldman Wrote: As Les posted...start simple...check the oil level.

SAE 80 replacement oil ???
(15-12-2023, 07:22 PM)baliboy.schroeder Wrote: SAE 80 replacement oil ???

https://www.justkampers.com.au/morris-lo...litre.html
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
And now for something completely random, I have a Scat shifter in my 1974 kombi, an 1800, 5 rib gear box.
In the shifter mechanism there is a spring to hold it in the 1-2 plane. Tension on the spring was enough to put pressure on the shifter which caused a constant whine. Pulling it apart and removing the spring stopped the whine!
It does mean that the shifter is no longer held in the 1-2 plane but given the original kombi shift, this is not a deal breaker.
But the whine is gone, unless you leave your hand on the shifter and then it whines!

Just a random thought.
(15-12-2023, 07:41 PM)Barry Wrote: https://www.justkampers.com.au/morris-lo...litre.html

I have always used 80w90 in all of m VW's.