Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switched power supply
Is there a switched power I can tap off to feed my GPS??

I have several on the T3 but haven’t really found one on the bay?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Fuse 7?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
There are a set of fuses that are switched. 11 and 12 feed the instruments and other ignition switched items on most bays. 7 is the fans and they aren't switched on ignition. I would use a connection to one of those to switch a relay and then feed the accessories. The power feed can come off the 7 fuse or anywhere else there is a positive. 

You can fit a bypass switch (a 2 way switch with three terminals with the common to the relay and one side to the the ignition switched power feed and the other to the same power supply as the one feeding the relay) to turn the relay for the accessories on with out the ignition if you want, and it reduces the additional current draw through the ignition switch. The cause of many hot start problems is often the ignition switch contacts burning after years of higher than designed current draw.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
Attached is the fuse box allocation for Bays, as specified in the Bentley Manual.
This being a USA publication it may not always be 100% accurate for non-USA vehicles.
My 1971 Bus  (assemble in Australia) is a bit of a mixture of the 1971 & 1972 Bentley electrical diagrams, with the fuse box most like the 1972 allocation.
As suggested by Mordred above - I have started using relays for any additional accessories, to limit the current going through the ignition switch.

.pdf   Scan_0191.pdf (Size: 405.14 KB / Downloads: 4)
1971 Sopru aka Doob
https://ratwell.com/technical/Fuses.html

This will help with fuse box types as they increased the number of fuses as the years went by.  As Doob has said the US market diagrams on the Samba are pretty close but there are a few things to watch for and this list also is US related, but the basic functions are the same.  I have come across the following but there is likely to be others:

Some models have a buzzer on the ignition to alarm when the key is left in the lock I think (a lot of ignition switches have a small extra terminal which is involved in that). 
There is a rear demister which I haven't seen but there are some wires for it in some parts of the loom.  
The Headlight relay is different for the US ones and they have one less terminal (4) where as the Euro and ours have 5. The extra one goes to fuse box and supplies power to the relay when the lights are switched off at the main light switch and you pull the dip switch up so they flash.

BTW here is the basic relay wiring for the bypass I mentioned earlier.  Basic but it is a nice to have as there isn't an accessories option on the ignition switch.

A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)