Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
123ignition?
123-VW-R 
123-VW-R-V  +vacuum advance
$550

Nothing States any information on using these in a type 4 engine.

Probably been brought up on facebook many times but there is no possible way to search that lol

Are they worth it?

do you need vacuum advance for a type 4 2L?

I couldn't see the curve setting for a type 4 in the manual.

Will it work for a type 4 2L?

Thanks

Right now in the engine I want to use is a vacuum advanced points dissy :o why? I dont know as its a 1979 2L twin carb.

I also do have one cheap electronic dizzy with vacuum advance and one without.... and a 009 replica points dizzy... 
IMHO 123+ are good, you do need a Vacuum advance on a Type IV, and there is a proper curve available for Type IV.  If you want the correct unit and curve talk to VolksDoktor in Adelaide and he has them with all the setting available.  Not the cheapest but you get a unit ready to go.  Spend the extra and get the Bluetooth model as the ability to change settings and monitoring are good. 

The bottom line is 009 are not for buses.  You get no advance off the line and at low revs where you are lugging a big weight around and on the highway you have too much advance and increase the temperature of the engine by increased heating on the heads.  Vacuum changes with load, the 009 depends on engine speed.  The standard vacuum/mechanical advance dizzy uses both to achieve the correct advance at different speeds and loads.  With a rebuild costing north of $8k, it is worth spending the extra to get the right unit to extend the life of the engine.

And my favourite nugget of info- Even though they were considerably more expensive than the 009, VW never put one in a vehicle from the factory.  They are designed for Industrial Engines that run at one speed, and the Bug boys used to use them in racing as they were mostly running full throttle all the time, and they were cheap. 

Good luck with what you choose.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
There is a setting in the 123-R-V 
I think it is the 1.7 Type 4 - curve 9 or 5

I have heard some people/mechanics do a modification to them one one of the other curves

The 123 Tune + is the one more suited for the 2L Type 4
But you need to tune the curve. 
They don’t come preset

This is the one I have. 
I got it through Andrew and he set it up for me. 

The Bluetooth gauges are very handy
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy