Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air flow meter
Hi has anyone got an idea where I can get or have reconditioned an air flow meter for my 76 2L kombi running L jetronic fuel injection . Mine currently works a bit but has a dead spot in it that creates a miss on cruise   . I would even be happy to borrow a loaner to confirm  my diagnosis before trying to get one from overseas. I live in Brisbane. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks Trevor  Smile
Difficult to come by. 
May be same as some Porsche (914) and some Volvo I believe
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(28-11-2023, 09:06 PM)Eltrevo Wrote: Hi has anyone got an idea where I can get or have reconditioned an air flow meter for my 76 2L kombi running L jetronic fuel injection . Mine currently works a bit but has a dead spot in it that creates a miss on cruise   . I would even be happy to borrow a loaner to confirm  my diagnosis before trying to get one from overseas. I live in Brisbane. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks Trevor  Smile

Hi Trevor,
Have you popped the plastic top off to see what the copper? arcs look like wear wise? That's the potentiometer part of the AFM. Have a look at that to see if it is actually the AFM. Also check at what vacuum or pressure the air flow 'solid thing' moves by just moving by hand to see if there is any 'grunge' in the movement!

BTW AFMs all behave differently. I've had 4 in my bus over the years & they have all provided a different experience re performance, tune & fuel consumption.

Other culprit is the computer next to your RHS battery 6"x1.5" mounted vertically. Could be worth cleaning the terminals to that.

I could do you a loaner of an AFM Wink .
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
(29-11-2023, 06:46 PM)DavidH Wrote: Hi Trevor,
Have you popped the plastic top off to see what the copper? arcs look like wear wise? That's the potentiometer part of the AFM. Have a look at that to see if it is actually the AFM. Also check at what vacuum or pressure the air flow 'solid thing' moves by just moving by hand to see if there is any 'grunge' in the movement!

BTW AFMs all behave differently. I've had 4 in my bus over the years & they have all provided a different experience re performance, tune & fuel consumption.

Other culprit is the computer next to your RHS battery 6"x1.5" mounted vertically. Could be worth cleaning the terminals to that.

I could do you a loaner of an AFM Wink .
Cheers

Thanks for the speedy response  I have tried cleaning all wiring connections with no change  I will send you a photo of the potentiometer   So you can see if you can spot anything ..  I have had it out and cleaned terminals  but couldn’t see any issues. I have replace all ignition components so I’m reasonably confident that it is in the injection and I can change the  the speed at which it happens by adjusting the air flow meter load spring. No one know if anyone in Australia is repairing them
You could try contacting Andrew at VolksDoktor in SA. If he doesn't repair them, he may know someone that does.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
Thanks will do
Smile
(29-11-2023, 10:09 PM)Eltrevo Wrote: Thanks for the speedy response  I have tried cleaning all wiring connections with no change  I will send you a photo of the potentiometer   So you can see if you can spot anything ..  I have had it out and cleaned terminals  but couldn’t see any issues. I have replace all ignition components so I’m reasonably confident that it is in the injection and I can change the  the speed at which it happens by adjusting the air flow meter load spring. No one know if anyone in Australia is repairing them

I've posted you a loaner today Trevor. Express post so you should get it Monday.
Cheers
                                    Copilot - Lauren
(01-12-2023, 02:47 PM)DavidH Wrote: I've posted you a loaner today Trevor. Express post so you should get it Monday.
Cheers

Thanks David you rock  I will be in touch once it touches down  you help has been invaluable I send you a text. Re postage
You get that AFM yet Trevor? Aus Post said 2 days but they're pretty slack now days Sad .
Cheers
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Hi Trevor,
Post up your discoveries here so we rebuild the knowledge base so others can learn :-).

How'd the loaner AFM go in your bus? Thanks for the text message how it went.

Cheers
                                    Copilot - Lauren