Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
muffler
Hi all. Have been informed that I need a new muffler for my 1990 T3 Transporter.Is it possible to buy a new one yourself take off the old muffler and reconnect the new one .Is it a straight     forward job you can do youself, or is it a muffler work shop job which allways leads to this  has to be done also etc. And can any one know where you obtain these mufflers in melbourne.?   please and regards pete.
Fairly easy

In stock here

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t3-par...w-t25.html

You will need gaskets and more than likely a tail pipe. 

Whether you need a new cat is the question. 
35 years is a long time. 
JK have them at the moment. 

How easy depends if the bolts are seized or not. 
Maybe easier to get the parts and go to a muffler shop. 

I got a Vintage Speed stainless steel one when I did mine. 
Have a scan of the internet for Black Friday deals. 

Also look at Brickwerks 
If buying a bit you may get free shipping. 

Even so - their pricing is pretty good
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
……and if you do decide to do it yourself, use plenty of copper grease on any exhaust bolts/nuts.
It’ll make it a 5hitload easier to undo if you ever need to do it again….
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Yes, it’s doable…..

But last time I undertook the task, with the vehicle on the ground, and laying on your back, each aspect of the procedure, drops crap onto you. It was not a pleasant experience, and the “swear jar” filled.

So much easier and quicker, with the vehicle on a hoist……. So Barry’s suggestion of supplying parts & getting a muffler shop, with a hoist, and their expertise of efficiently extracting seized bolts, is also the way I would go next time.

But you may want to have the self satisfaction, of “doing it yourself”……. Enjoy, and please keep us posted of the journey.  Cool
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Oh ….. and probably should get some straps as well

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t3-par...-1992.html
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
Hello to everyone .Have finally got around to getting the new muffler . but getting the old one off is a problem at present.The old muffler runs off the Cat which is left of the muffler.              I am finding the top bolt had to get to. and to get a socket on , the other two bolts are ok WD40 on as well. I am thinking of taking the cat off as well as I can get to the bolts there a lot     better , disconnecting and separating on the ground putting new muffler on and new bolts . But it just might be to just go to the muffler shop. any thoughts out there.regards peteersbilt.
No problem dropping the cat. 
But you really need the 3 gaskets to go with it. 

Have you tried cracking the strap nuts yet?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
(29-12-2023, 05:16 PM)Barry Wrote: No problem dropping the cat. 
But you really need the 3 gaskets to go with it. 

Have you tried cracking the strap nuts yet?

hello Barry. yes they came lose pretty good. had a lot of problems with the top last nut on the cat all lose now just have to drop down or slide out. but have found a new problem and its the called a lambda probe hopeing to slide out from the engine end cause you need a special spanner at the cat end it goes on and on. but due to my age I am resting my hands  today but nealy done. recards petersbilt. Big Grin
Hello everyone . Its the Muffler Man here , just to inform you  that the muffler is on and running the quietist sound i have ever heard for a long time. But is a job I would not like to do again .You were right Grantus in stateing that the job on the ground getting to the bolts etc. Was glad I did it myself and saved a bit of money but I was buggered every night. But the Muffler was first put in 1990 so lasted a long time.The same company still make them. ENERST. and thanks every one for all the good advice and tips to help me. regards petersbilt.
What you saved it getting it done you probably spent in beer afterwards.

Well done.

T3's sound so sweet when running right
76 Bay Microbus - Woody