Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally running well!
Hi all, a short story of the trials and tribulations kombi repair. As a side note, I bought the Kombi from Brian and Cathy in Mt Gambier in 2009, before their relocation to the west.
After 14 years of ownership I was coming home from VW Spectacular in Nambucca Heads to Coffs Harbour in 2021, I managed to drop a valve in number 3 cylinder. So no compression and not a lot of performance.
Not a lot of mechanics in Coffs were keen to have a look.
Finally found one who was prepeared to have go. Well, after 14 months I got it back.
New pistons, barrels, heads, carbs etc, all went into the engine.
And it ran $#!thouse.
After investing 14 months and $7500 into the motor, I was reluctant to take it back.
So off to another mechanic who managed to get it running better but not perfect.
All packed on Friday night and ready to head off to Old Bar 2023, backing out of the driveway and it dies!
Spend all night and all day Saturday trying to get it running, no go, so off to Old Bar in the Touareg.
No power getting to the coil.
Back to Coffs and back to the second mechanic for a look, a fried relay, so new relay and a bit of wiring and it is running again, but not well.
So, on the hunt again!
My wife works for Gowings in Coffs Harbour, they have 3 split window kombis on display, all restored and all registered. I followed up with their mechanic, he was prepared to have a look.
I even asked if the could get it running reasonably well I would be happy, but he said we don't do reasonably well!
After a one day stay, it is running the best it has run in the past 4 years!
New plugs, points, leads, balance the carbs, tappets etc all checked/changed and boy, a revelation.
Just went to Brunswick Heads and back from Coffs Harbour over the weekend and ran beautifully, cruised at 100kmh, and could still overtake the occasional truck, fantastic!
Now back to a daily driver, as it was years ago, the Touareg parked in the shed!
If anyone is looking for a GOOD mechanic in Coffs, shoot me a message, I can pass on the details.
Bring on summer, Old Bar, Nimbin Cruise and VW Spectacular!
(13-11-2023, 06:14 PM)Deeksy Wrote: Hi all, a short story of the trials and tribulations kombi repair. As a side note, I bought the Kombi from Brian and Cathy in Mt Gambier in 2009, before their relocation to the west.
After 14 years of ownership I was coming home from VW Spectacular in Nambucca Heads to Coffs Harbour in 2021, I managed to drop a valve in number 3 cylinder. So no compression and not a lot of performance.
Not a lot of mechanics in Coffs were keen to have a look.
Finally found one who was prepeared to have go. Well, after 14 months I got it back.
New pistons, barrels, heads, carbs etc, all went into the engine.
And it ran $#!thouse.
After investing 14 months and $7500 into the motor, I was reluctant to take it back.
So off to another mechanic who managed to get it running better but not perfect.
All packed on Friday night and ready to head off to Old Bar 2023, backing out of the driveway and it dies!
Spend all night and all day Saturday trying to get it running, no go, so off to Old Bar in the Touareg.
No power getting to the coil.
Back to Coffs and back to the second mechanic for a look, a fried relay, so new relay and a bit of wiring and it is running again, but not well.
So, on the hunt again!
My wife works for Gowings in Coffs Harbour, they have 3 split window kombis on display, all restored and all registered. I followed up with their mechanic, he was prepared to have a look.
I even asked if the could get it running reasonably well I would be happy, but he said we don't do reasonably well!
After a one day stay, it is running the best it has run in the past 4 years!
New plugs, points, leads, balance the carbs, tappets etc all checked/changed and boy, a revelation.
Just went to Brunswick Heads and back from Coffs Harbour over the weekend and ran beautifully, cruised at 100kmh, and could still overtake the occasional truck, fantastic!
Now back to a daily driver, as it was years ago, the Touareg parked in the shed!
If anyone is looking for a GOOD mechanic in Coffs, shoot me a message, I can pass on the details.
Bring on summer, Old Bar, Nimbin Cruise and VW Spectacular!

What a great outcome Deeksy & a reward for your persistence Wink . Enjoy the cruising Smile .
PM me the details as I'd prob go to Coffs to get a good Kombi mechanic!
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Great result mate  Cool.
Seems like a lot of essential stuff has finally been done properly……
Anyone can put an aircooled engine together….but to do it properly, ensuring that everything is correctly matched, balanced and adjusted takes someone with experience not just words…..
Enjoy the ride…. Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
It makes such a difference doesn't it? I am hoping to be closer to getting Josie running properly again very soon.

Very happy for your progress. Smile
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
Mechanics that know how to change points or wield a timing light are an endangered species now... Rolleyes
Garth

Before you criticize someone try walking a mile in their shoes - that way when you do criticize them you're a mile away and you've got their shoes!
^^^^ yep
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy