Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bubbling paint
Hi All 

Question for you, I have had this bubbling of my paint come up recently on my 1974. Some panels have more than others, some panels have nothing at all. 

It was fully restored in 2017 and has always been garaged and covered and never driven in the rain, not sure of this is rust coming through? I would hope not, and the patterns seem odd.   Could the paint be peeling? 

It’s not on any of the white paint, only the blue. 

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks like a reaction between finish coats and primer/undercoat, or improperly prepped for final.
Do you know what systems were used for primer/undercoat and finish coats ?
ie. was it a 2 pack system from start to finish, or was it a mix of acrylic and epoxy ?
We’re any additional binding agents like Penetrol used between undercoat and finish coats ?
(Penetrol will “fry” any epoxy top coats resulting in epoxy top coats separating….)
Only one way to get rid of the bubbles……sand ‘em back and re-finish coat.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Hi Oldman,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am not sure what product / process was used for the paint, I will have to contact the restoring company and find out. 

Cheers
(12-11-2023, 08:25 PM)Kombi1974 Wrote: Hi Oldman,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am not sure what product / process was used for the paint, I will have to contact the restoring company and find out. 

Cheers
They look like humidity bubbles which have many causes but basically it is moisture between the body and undercoat/ top coat. Oldman is right there is only one cure and that is strip and start again.