Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front spare wheel mount
Hi All,

Just anybody`s thoughts on a temporary front spare wheel mount.

Occasionally ,I would like to put my spare wheel on the front of the van when i go away for a few days camping etc.

I don`t want a bull bar, but rather a mount that can be bolted underneath to the front chassis and readily can be taken off .

I have seen small tyre mounts , but these require to be mounted to the front bumper and attached to the front panel, they appear to be permanent.

Has anybody come across something that I am after. ?

Or will I need to engineer a design and a way to safely attach to the underneath. I don`t want it to be a permanent fixture on the front, I wish to put the spare wheel back in the rear cabin wheel well.

Regards

Klaus 75 model
Think carefully about front mounting 
The smallest of bump in the front can do a lot of damage to the front panel. 

I would be more inclined to get a small Sopru type roof rack and throw it up there for camping. 
A bugger to get up and in and down and out, but it’s only when camping so not as though all the time
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(09-11-2023, 09:46 AM)Barry Wrote: Think carefully about front mounting 
The smallest of bump in the front can do a lot of damage to the front panel. 

I would be more inclined to get a small Sopru type roof rack and throw it up there for camping. 
A bugger to get up and in and down and out, but it’s only when camping so not as though all the time

Thanks Barry, I had a feeling that this would be the response I would get. I was also concerned about the vibrations. I think your suggestion of a Sopru type roof rack would be the go. 

I do have a roof rack attached to the top back of the van, old style with suction caps on all four point and two arms that attach to the rail.
I have used this rack for light items and is adequately secured.

However , any weight is on the four suctions that actually sit on the roof curves. I don`t think it would be strong enough to hold a tyre, it may cause dents eventually.

Do you agree ?

Thanks for your advice

Regards Klaus

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Your roof rack will be more than adequate to support a spare wheel without denting the roof,in my opinion, assuming the rubber cups are in good condition.
(As a retired Structures Teacher…….  Wink)
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(10-11-2023, 07:47 AM)Oldman Wrote: Your roof rack will be more than adequate to support a spare wheel without denting the roof,in my opinion, assuming the rubber cups are in good condition.
(As a retired Structures Teacher…….  Wink)

Thanks Mark,

You are more confident than I am   Smile

However I am willing to try . It would be more convenient for me to place the wheel on top. 

I guess the strength  is the small ridge that forms the pattern of the roof , this is where the suction cups sit, as per photo. I cannot see internally where the roof reinforcements are as I have internal lining. 

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards Klaus