Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lite Steer power steering
Anyone interested in this kit?
No modifications needed, it's a direct replacement made in UK
it's speed sensitive and reduces after about 60km/h
Expensive at $2750.
Our pommy counter parts have a few members who have fitted them and they swear by them.
They are organising a group buy atm but have reservations about the GPS versions.
The ones advertised in Aus use a transducer between the speedo cable and Speedo which I think is better.
Thinking seriously about it.

LITE STEER AUSTRALIA
I would definitely put it on an early air cooled T3
The one I had was horrendously heavy. 

Just don’t think if my bay is that heavy?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
I reckon it’d be great if your bus had low profile, wide tyres and a smaller than normal diameter steering wheel…… Cool
Mine has stock steering wheel diameter and 14” LT tyres…….I don’t really find the steering heavy unless I’m crawling and trying to turn a tight radius………which really isn’t that often.
I’ll pass.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(04-11-2023, 05:14 PM)Oldman Wrote: I reckon it’d be great if your bus had low profile, wide tyres and a smaller than normal diameter steering wheel…… Cool
Mine has stock steering wheel diameter and 14” LT tyres…….I don’t really find the steering heavy unless I’m crawling and trying to turn a tight radius………which really isn’t that often.
I’ll pass.

I find it difficult in tight spots
Can do it but not easy like my Ute.
luxury but why not?
Why not indeed !  Big Grin
I wonder if power steering would load up the steering coupling more ? or is that replaced as part of the upgrade ?
Interesting bit of kit .
Cheers,
Mark

(05-11-2023, 06:54 AM)Oldman Wrote: Why not indeed !  Big Grin
I wonder if power steering would load up the steering coupling more ? or is that replaced as part of the upgrade ?
Interesting bit of kit .

don't think it would overload the coupling. You either strong arm the steering wheel or the motor helps and reduces your effort. Either way the torque goes through the coupling.
The question is the power supply. Alternator will handle it but wiring to the cab will have to be added (including fuses, relays etc.)
True....was thinking that it would be easier to load it up by swinging the wheel quickly when power assisted vs feeling the load when strong-arming it.
As you point out, either way the coupling is under load required to change direction.....
Cheers,
Mark