Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN
Someone asked me the other day if my kombi was “matching numbers” 

The VIN doesn’t tell the engine number?
Just models?

The only way to have a “matching numbers” kombi is if you have the original bill of sale?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(28-10-2023, 02:01 PM)Barry Wrote: Someone asked me the other day if my kombi was “matching numbers” 

The VIN doesn’t tell the engine number?
Just models?

The only way to have a “matching numbers” kombi is if you have the original bill of sale?

Excellent point Barry. 

My Velle, has matching production issue numbers to body, engine and gearbox, but the VIN doesn’t show that, and I only know they match, coz it’s a “one owner”, and know exactly what is original.

In fact, my original “bill of sale”, also only has the VIN details, as new.

Tough one to prove……….or dispute I guess.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Get this…..I was looking after 2 cars for friends, whilst they were working overseas, and the Rego’s expired.

Upon their return, both vehicles required a roadworthy certificate to get new rego. 

Took one to a local Authorised Inspection Business, and the car passed the roadworthy, but noted that the engine number was different to to one previously noted on the expired registration papers.

So the car was registered, with the “new” engine number listed……

2 years later, I purchased that car from the owner, and one of the few times an ACT car ever needs a roadworthy, is when it changes ownership, so I took it back to the same Authorized Inspection Business, for another required roadworthy.

Again, it passed, but again, the engine number didn’t match the one on the current registration papers………..

So another “new” engine number was noted - and it was exactly the same engine number that was listed, prior to running out of rego 7 years ago!

So which “matching numbers”, are authentic, or really matter????
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
The paper sticker under the dash with the "M" codes lists the VIN and engine number. Also in the owner's manual.
(30-10-2023, 07:17 PM)syncro Wrote: The paper sticker under the dash with the "M" codes lists the VIN and engine number. Also in the owner's manual.

Bay, T3, or both have /had that paper sticker?
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(30-10-2023, 10:12 PM)Grantus Wrote: Bay, T3, or both have /had that paper sticker?

Guessing that they'd be German assembled/imported vehicles.
My locally assembled bus doesn't have that sticker.....

I'm guessing that "matching numbers" refers to current engine number and VIN/Chassis numbers matching those recorded on rego. papers.
When I blue slipped my son's '71 from SA into NSW, one of the "issues" was that the engine had been replaced by a VW service centre. 
The replacement case didn't have an engine number stamped in.
Blue slip fella said there were two ways of dealing with it....
1. Take it to an RTA centre for forensic dye testing of the case....this would ensure that any number hadn't been ground off/back leaving the blank space. 
Apparently this was common practice when re-birthing a vehicle to avoid tracing.....
2. Bring the vehicle back with the engine number (as listed on the last rego. papers) stamped in.

When I had my 2ltr rebuilt in 2011, I was offered two options....
1. Drive in, drive out with a pre-built engine.....meant going to RTA and getting the rego papers changed to reflect the new engine number
2. Wait while the existing case was split and re-filled with new "bits".....meant existing number stayed the same.
I went for re-building in the existing case.

Just my experiences..... Wink
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
For at least Type IV engines in T2 buses, there are actually 2 places the engine number is presented, one actually on the case between the oil breather housing and the fan housing and the other on the fan housing itself.  If it is rebuilt with a new case and they use the original fan housing they wont match.  As the 2 letter code tells you the case original spec IE: AP for an 1800 or CJ for a non hydraulic lifter 2l you really don't know what you have by reading the fan housing number, and even then it is only a guide if it has been modded.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(31-10-2023, 10:12 AM)Oldman Wrote: Guessing that they'd be German assembled/imported vehicles.
My locally assembled bus doesn't have that sticker.....

Blue slip fella said there were two ways of dealing with it....
1. Take it to an RTA centre for forensic dye testing of the case....this would ensure that any number hadn't been ground off/back leaving the blank space. 
Apparently this was common practice when re-birthing a vehicle to avoid tracing.....
2. Bring the vehicle back with the engine number (as listed on the last rego. papers) stamped in.
Just T3s have the sticker. Later German cars have a plate.

RTA does not normally forensic dye test. They just send you to the Police to get a number. Prefix will be "N" for NSW and end in "P" indicating that it is a Police issued number. Then you get it stamped. Then you take it to get a blue slip to amend records. It's not really much of a problem and is a common thing to do.
(31-10-2023, 05:04 PM)syncro Wrote: Just T3s have the sticker. Later German cars have a plate.

RTA does not normally forensic dye test. They just send you to the Police to get a number. Prefix will be "N" for NSW and end in "P" indicating that it is a Police issued number. Then you get it stamped. Then you take it to get a blue slip to amend records. It's not really much of a problem and is a common thing to do.

This was back in 2009 & what I was told by the Blue Slip fella.
I just brought the bus back with the number stamped in.... Rolleyes
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(01-11-2023, 08:24 AM)Oldman Wrote: This was back in 2009 & what I was told by the Blue Slip fella.

Maybe he was BS fella.