Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering Column Schematic diagram '76
Hi KCA,
 I've got some 'play' (about 1/8th" at the wheel outer) at the top of the steering column & can't find any reference in Bentley. Any ideas gratefully appreciated. 

Whist I've got it apart I'm going to change all the wear bits down to the steering box. Aside from the coupling to the steering box do I need anything else.

Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
(21-10-2023, 04:49 PM)DavidH Wrote: Hi KCA,
 I've got some 'play' (about 1/8th" at the wheel outer) at the top of the steering column & can't find any reference in Bentley. Any ideas gratefully appreciated. 

Whist I've got it apart I'm going to change all the wear bits down to the steering box. Aside from the coupling to the steering box do I need anything else.

Cheers

David on some vehicles there is a shim that fits between the bearing and shaft to eliminate play at the steering wheel.
(21-10-2023, 06:30 PM)grumble Wrote: David on some vehicles there is a shim that fits between the bearing and shaft to eliminate play at the steering wheel.

Thanks Les. Mechanic did that a few years ago & it minimised it but it's still there 'a bit' & he's closed his shop. There's no 'grind' on turn so bearing still okay....so just shim it with some way thin metal?

Where does the bearing 'sit' vertically in relation to the indicator/wiper arms & the key?

Cheers
                                    Copilot - Lauren
(21-10-2023, 09:04 PM)DavidH Wrote: Thanks Les. Mechanic did that a few years ago & it minimised it but it's still there 'a bit' & he's closed his shop. There's no 'grind' on turn so bearing still okay....so just shim it with some way thin metal?

Where does the bearing 'sit' vertically in relation to the indicator/wiper arms & the key? Okay...got that.

Now I just need some 'legend' regarding the numbers! I guess 36 & 10 are the top bearing & outer retainer? Is 36 a tapered roller race as depicted Les?

Cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Copilot - Lauren
(21-10-2023, 09:27 PM)DavidH Wrote: Cheers
My ten cents worth? Looks like item “10” in your diagram, is the bearing. Same steering bearing was used from 75 onwards, and up until 92 in the T3’s, but the location in a T3 is below the lower sleeve bracket, near the floor……

https://www.justkampers.com.au/catalog/p...1980-1991/
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab

Labelled “21” in the T3 diagram above, but same VW part no, 211415585B
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(21-10-2023, 10:03 PM)Grantus Wrote: My ten cents worth? Looks like item “10” in your diagram, is the bearing. Same steering bearing was used from 75 onwards, and up until 92 in the T3’s, but the location in a T3 is below the lower sleeve bracket, near the floor……

https://www.justkampers.com.au/catalog/p...1980-1991/

Thanks Grantus Smile . Just trying to tidy up info before ordering parts  Wink . For the money I'll just buy one anyway!

Already bought some brass shim material for $20. Might as well cover all bases as I only want to do it once!

Cheers
                                    Copilot - Lauren
(21-10-2023, 10:13 PM)DavidH Wrote: Thanks Grantus Smile . Just trying to tidy up info before ordering parts  Wink . For the money I'll just buy one anyway!

Already bought some brass shim material for $20. Might as well cover all bases as I only want to do it once!

Cheers

As you dismantle, the 3D actual, will make much more sense than any 2D schematics…… Cool
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(21-10-2023, 09:27 PM)DavidH Wrote: Cheers

David yes 36 and 10, the spring holds pressure on the shim and the bearing is a ball race.
(22-10-2023, 06:21 PM)grumble Wrote: David yes 36 and 10, the spring holds pressure on the shim and the bearing is a ball race.
Thanks Les :-)! So this developed reasonably quickly after 685k. Could it be that the spring just lost tension pushing the ball race into place? & that's where I need to shim?

Cheers
                                    Copilot - Lauren