Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sliding door exterior handle drop
Hi All,

My sliding door exterior handle has dropped, it has been like this for some time. the distance drop is the same distance when you lift it up. The door opens and closes ok and locks , The door itself hasn`t dropped so everything operates as should.

However, what is it telling me and what should I expect if I don`t do anything about it. I am assuming I can make adjustments inside  the sliding door panel ?

Any advice would be appreciated. see photo

Regards
Klaus

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I would suspect wear in the lock mechanism, probably a failing spring.  I have seen a lot worse still working fine. Will not cause too many issues as far as the door operation but to fix I am sure it will be a replacement lock required.  The are pretty much sealed from the factory with minimal work able to be done on them apart from lubrication.  If you want to open it up you may have trouble getting it back together and the springs in them are very strong.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
Hi Klaus, 

I have done a little bit of work on the sliding door lock mechanism on my 1971 Kombi.  I think the same lock system was used through to 1973 (not sure). 
If your vehicle is of this vintage, the following might be useful:

As Adrian indicated, it is probably wear in the lock mechanism. 
Trying to dismantle this unit is not for the faint hearted, and what you can do with it once you have it apart is very limited.
On my 1971 model it is relatively easy to remove the inner & outer door handles, the connecting square shaft and the outer escutcheon. 
These could be inspected for any obvious wear & tear. 
Beyond that it gets more complicated.

On a previous post I attached these pdf files with notated photos of the sliding door locking system 

.pdf   Sliding Door Latches & Locks - Part #1 pdf.pdf (Size: 1.56 MB / Downloads: 10)

.pdf   Sliding Door Latches & Locks - Part#2 pdf.pdf (Size: 1.49 MB / Downloads: 13)
 outer escutcheon    
See Part #1 page 10 for the door handle
See Part #2 - pages 3-7 for the dismantled lock mechanism.

The following threads relating to sliding doors might be worth a look.
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=49
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=186

Cheers
Grant
1971 Sopru aka Doob
(02-10-2023, 08:22 AM)Mordred Wrote: I would suspect wear in the lock mechanism, probably a failing spring.  I have seen a lot worse still working fine. Will not cause too many issues as far as the door operation but to fix I am sure it will be a replacement lock required.  The are pretty much sealed from the factory with minimal work able to be done on them apart from lubrication.  If you want to open it up you may have trouble getting it back together and the springs in them are very strong.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for this info. I was always told, sometimes it pays to leave things as they are. As the van is 50 years old and the the door handle etc are still operating...leave it.  Smile
(02-10-2023, 10:50 AM)Doob Wrote: Hi Klaus, 

I have done a little bit of work on the sliding door lock mechanism on my 1971 Kombi.  I think the same lock system was used through to 1973 (not sure). 
If your vehicle is of this vintage, the following might be useful:

As Adrian indicated, it is probably wear in the lock mechanism. 
Trying to dismantle this unit is not for the faint hearted, and what you can do with it once you have it apart is very limited.
On my 1971 model it is relatively easy to remove the inner & outer door handles, the connecting square shaft and the outer escutcheon. 
These could be inspected for any obvious wear & tear. 
Beyond that it gets more complicated.

On a previous post I attached these pdf files with notated photos of the sliding door locking system 

outer escutcheon    
See Part #1 page 10 for the door handle
See Part #2 - pages 3-7 for the dismantled lock mechanism.

The following threads relating to sliding doors might be worth a look.
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=49
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=186

Cheers
Grant

Hi Grant,
The PDF s are comprehension. Opening the lock mechanism is not an option ,factory sealed. The threads you forwarded are interesting as I eventually with replace the roller wheel and nylon runner as indicated in the threads. All useful information. As I mentioned to Adrian, It may pay to leave the sloppy handle. I have seen worse and everything still operates.

Thanks for this info 
Much appreciated
Klaus
Yep ..If it ain't broke don't fix it ..!!
1971 Sopru aka Doob