Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horn issue Late Bay 1975
Hi All, 

I want to re connect my steering wheel horn for a late bay 1975 model. This system will be different to earlier models

Currently I use a button underneath the dash. The horn has power from ignition and there is a small ground wire next to horn connected to the chassis...no problem all works ok. 

Now this is the problem, I don`t under stand where the brown/ ground wire goes from the horn to ??? I have a ground wire at the bottom of the steering shaft connected at top of the coupling and tucks in and attached to bottom of coupling. This is a late bay ,therefore no ground wire going up the shaft. 

There is no brown wire under the dash , as my wiring has been butchered. My indicator harness is shown in the attached photo. 
There is a small wire from within the steering wheel and clipped on top, as per photo. This wire is part of the steering wheel and horn button.

So where does the ground wire go to from the horn ? Copper rings have been cleaned there is a plastic ring under the horn button mechanism with the three springs, so it appears to be all there and pushes down as required. Unless  someone tells me there is still something missing the horn should be ready to go, only if I can get the grounding right.

Does the ground wire suppose to connect to the indicator plug under the steering cover ? ,this is where all the wires come out .

Should there be a relay somewhere ?

Just in case someone asks. I don`t have a multi meter.. but may need to get one to check continuity, but if there is no continuity then what?  Youtube shows a lot of testing with a multimeter with positive results, but nobody explains if there is no continuity.

Is there an alternative way to connect the horn..?

Sorry about all the questions , but my understanding it is only one wire. but getting it right to make the horn work.

Any advice or stretches would be appreciated.

Regards
Klaus.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This may seem like a silly question. Do your turn indicators self cancel? Sometimes the steering column shroud moves down away from steering wheel. Check that gap between wheel and shroud first.
(12-09-2023, 07:16 AM)Paul77 Wrote: This may seem like a silly question. Do your turn indicators self cancel? Sometimes the steering column shroud moves down away from steering wheel. Check that gap between wheel and shroud first.

Not a silly question, all good with indicators, self cancel. The shroud gap etc are ok. Steering wheel touching copper all good. Its the ground connection that is the enquiry.
Not near a Kombi or workshop manual so this is from memory (damn it)

The horn button completes the circuit via ground. The reason there is a short wire at the bottom of the steering column is to get past the rubber mounting (i.e. steering column needs to be grounded).

If you have power at the horn then you should just need a wire from the other horn contact (the one looking for ground) to that little wire at the steering wheel.

The horn button should be insulated (those plastic bits) until it is pressed in and makes contact completing the circuit to ground
(12-09-2023, 12:27 PM)Tintop Wrote: Not near a Kombi or workshop manual so this is from memory (damn it)

The horn button completes the circuit via ground. The reason there is a short wire at the bottom of the steering column is to get past the rubber mounting (i.e. steering column needs to be grounded).

If you have power at the horn then you should just need a wire from the other horn contact (the one looking for ground) to that little wire at the steering wheel.

The horn button should be insulated (those plastic bits) until it is pressed in and makes contact completing the circuit to ground

I understand what you are saying. So as a test, run a wire from the other horn contact ( the one looking for ground ) attach it to the horn button at the point where the blue wire is attached ( as per photo )  Turn ignition and press...the horn should go beep beep. Hopefully ? 

I shall let you know of out come.

Thanks
(12-09-2023, 02:32 PM)baliboy.schroeder Wrote: I understand what you are saying. So as a test, run a wire from the other horn contact ( the one looking for ground ) attach it to the horn button at the point where the blue wire is attached ( as per photo )  Turn ignition and press...the horn should go beep beep. Hopefully ? 

I shall let you know of out come.

Thanks

Guess what ? It works, Thanks much appreciated. Just now to work out the flow of the wiring from horn to steering wheel, Hopefully there is a small gap around the indicator harness to squeeze the new ground wire thru.