Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘71 disc upgrade issue……
Hi all, been thin on the ground lately……working furiously on my son’s’71 lowlight for his wedding in a couple of weeks.
Replacement calipers are nla/ almost non existent so I’ve opted for a late bay conversion kit.
Problem I now face is that part of the caliper binds on the rotor if I tighten the mounting bolts fully.
To be perfectly honest, the casting on the calipers is less than perfect and I’m wondering if the fix is to simply grind away the binding portion. It’s nowhere near the fluid galleries and I’ve checked rotor centre with verniers……21 mm each way give or take a poofteenth, so the rotor appears centred.
Supplier (Mick Motors) is at a loss and looking for alternative caliper sets, but if it’s just a simple , careful grind to fix, I’m happy to go ahead…..
Anyone had similar experience?
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
I recently converted my 1972 to the larger callipers, however I got mine from JK.  

https://www.justkampers.com.au/brake-cal...sides.html

They said that it may be necessary to "remove some material...", however I was lucky and didn't have to.  Based on the description on the link above, this may be the issue you are facing.
I've always used original components to convert my 72's over to later brakes. Can't help in what they have done to a kit to make them fit (work) Normally I replace from the spindles out from a later kombi to get it to work. As 71-72 discs have a different offset then the later discs by a few millimetres from memory. All this is to  compensate for the pads which in the later kombi are 14mm thick instead of 10mm pads.
Not sure what you have and what you have done with kit etc.
You have 71-72 discs with 73> later calipers with spacers to except smaller bolt for the 71-72 spindle. Like said not sure what they sell for these kits but I reckon the spindle, disc and calliper combination aren't matching correctly to get it to work.
Original components can't be interchanged between those years without a complete change.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(02-09-2023, 02:23 PM)Pabloako Wrote: I recently converted my 1972 to the larger callipers, however I got mine from JK.  

https://www.justkampers.com.au/brake-cal...sides.html

They said that it may be necessary to "remove some material...", however I was lucky and didn't have to.  Based on the description on the link above, this may be the issue you are facing.

I think the,
“remove some material” refers to reaming out the later calipers to acccept the bolt spacers……this seems typical of aftermarket calipers……I’ve done that.
Thanks for your thoughts……the JK kits were on back order and I needed this sorted asap, hence trying Mick’s.
Cheers,
Mark

(02-09-2023, 05:24 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: I've always used original components to convert my 72's over to later brakes. Can't help in what they have done to a kit to make them fit (work) Normally I replace from the spindles out from a later kombi to get it to work. As 71-72 discs have a different offset then the later discs by a few millimetres from memory. All this is to  compensate for the pads which in the later kombi are 14mm thick instead of 10mm pads.
Not sure what you have and what you have done with kit etc.
You have 71-72 discs with 73> later calipers with spacers to except smaller bolt for the 71-72 spindle. Like said not sure what they sell for these kits but I reckon the spindle, disc and calliper combination aren't matching correctly to get it to work.
Original components can't be interchanged between those years without a complete change.

Yup, that’s my understanding Wayne….thanks for your input.
I have new ATE late bay rotors, calipers and spacers to compensate for the bolt size difference….
I’m almost convinced that the casting on the caliper is just rough/excessive and needs to be pared back.
Focussing on the rear at the moment, hoping for a more definitive response from Mick’s on Monday.
Time is ticking…….
Cheers,
Mark

Grind away, I had to trim my CSP rear calipers for my wheels
That’s what I’m thinking…….. Big Grin
Thanks Chris, if it’s good enough for you, it’s definitely good enough for me !
Cheers,
Mark

Obviously just trim what you need within reason Smile
(04-09-2023, 08:54 PM)DakDak67 Wrote: Obviously just trim what you need within reason Smile

Of course……the OCD gene runs through me as well…..it can be a curse.
Cheers,
Mark

Ok, update……..
Trimmed the excess stock off the caliper, installed the ATE rotor, bolted the caliper up and…..
Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh……….the f8@&$+% rotor is off centre to the caliper  Angry …..can’t even fit a disc pad in on the narrow side…….Mick Motors’ answer is to send a new, different set of rotors down, express. They (almost) guarantee that it’ll fix the issue……why does this 5&it happen when there is a deadline to meet ?
I have a standby work around if it all goes pear shaped  but hope that the replacement rotors fix the issue. Supposed to be getting an engineers inspection on the rear (original) seating on Thursday…..
Ahh the joys of ( not my ) kombi ownership……
Will let you know how it all pans out.
Cheers,
Mark