Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type 4 Intake air preheating system parts
hi everyone, 
going nuts trying to find any information about the preheating system on my type 4 motor.

I've scoured the net but can't any pics or reference to it other than an acknowledgement of the system in the Bently manual, section 3 figure 6-3 under aircleaner.

There must have been a bellows type gasket or something that joined the aircleaner inlet to the metal pipe that attaches to the rear tinware but damned if I know what it looks like or where to source a replacement.

Anyone know the part ??

Mindset matters: whatever you do, do it with a smile and/or a bigger hammer
Living life in the kombi lane with Moby, 75 Bay.
(20-08-2023, 03:04 PM)Crankster Wrote: hi everyone, 
going nuts trying to find any information about the preheating system on my type 4 motor.
I've scoured the net but can't any pics or reference to it other than an acknowledgement of the system in the Bently manual, section 3 figure 6-3 under aircleaner.
There must have been a bellows type gasket or something that joined the aircleaner inlet to the metal pipe that attaches to the rear tinware but damned if I know what it looks like or where to source a replacement.
Anyone know the part ??
The black part usually has a grommet to seal to the air cleaner, there is a transfer port that bolts the fitting that you have and runs down the front of the red panel to pick up warm air from the cylinder cover to feed the air filter and stop freezing and consequent stalling in cold weather. I should have a couple of them if you don't have it.
As grumble said.
You will also need to get the vacuum lines connected correctly and check the operation of the thermostat and diaphragm to check it works correctly.
(20-08-2023, 03:04 PM)Crankster Wrote: hi everyone, 

Anyone know the part ??
I think the part number is 021-119-627/B...
Other members may be able to confirm or deny.
PRR
Thanks everyone for chipping in. Grumble’s right that it should have some sort of rubber ‘bellows’ type seal but I can’t seem to find it referenced. The one Kiwi mentioned is for the airhoses that go through the tinware. Good points about checking the action of the thermostat Andy. Trying to work out how to do that Smile  Parts all seem to move and sucking on the vacuum line opens the flap to the heated air intake. Release the vacuum and the flap closes and air is taken from the normal intake hose. I assume that there is a temp rheostat attached to the linkage that progressively works against the vacuum pressure as the engine heats up to close and allow the air to come from the external intake ?
Sorry I don't have better details. 
That is great the diaphragm is intact, and the flap moves. In the image below it shows two vacuum lines that run to the right-hand side of the air cleaner to the carbie. There is a valve in there that opens/closes with air temperature. One side see's engine vacuum, the other goes to the flap for hot air.
When the inlet air is cold enough the valve is open, and vacuum will pull the flat across for hot air.

I think it is detailed in the Bently manual (unfortunately don't have easy access to mine currently)

Not sure if you have come across this web page. A wealth of knowledge!

Richard Atwell's VW Type 2 Baywindow Bus Pages (ratwell.com)
Dual Carb Vacuum Hoses (ratwell.com)
AirHornRight.jpg (640×480) (ratwell.com)

Hi Andy, thanks for the info and links. Yeah, Ratwell site is great. Unfortunately, many of the diagrams for the type 4 motors are the US fuel injected ones or have quite different emission stuff on them eg. their vacuum advance dizzy has separate advance and retard hoses.  Even the tinware on aussie cars looks different and the seals etc shown are not the same. Fun part is always trying to figure out what is missing from your bus Smile

On the plus side, I did find what I think is an old seal although very perished (and doesn't seal) in my box of bits.  Now to track down who might have a new one.

Yep, that is the seal. My bus is complete and factory, but in storage at the moment, so not easy to get photo's.
Yes, many differences in T2's depending on the market, even little things like windows (we never got opening 1/4" windows), but US never got dash fans!
South Africa also got a lot of unique options.

Yes the Ratwell site is a great resource, I had many great conversations with the author when I was restoring my bus (many moons ago)! Really great guy, great attention to detail always giving his time to the VW community.
(26-08-2023, 09:26 AM)Crankster Wrote: Thanks everyone for chipping in. Grumble’s right that it should have some sort of rubber ‘bellows’ type seal but I can’t seem to find it referenced. The one Kiwi mentioned is for the airhoses that go through the tinware. Good points about checking the action of the thermostat Andy. Trying to work out how to do that Smile  Parts all seem to move and sucking on the vacuum line opens the flap to the heated air intake. Release the vacuum and the flap closes and air is taken from the normal intake hose. I assume that there is a temp rheostat attached to the linkage that progressively works against the vacuum pressure as the engine heats up to close and allow the air to come from the external intake ?

If you can't get the correct part, try 113-119-585/A Grommet - pre-heating hose as a substitute.
PR

A trip to Clark rubber and the 50mm cable grommet with some trimming on the inside, did the job. Picked up a few more grommets while I was there to close up other holes. They had some 1.5mm insertion rubber sheet that also is handy for making gaskets. Handy place Smile