Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine install issues
Hi all, I'm having a bit of an issue with the wiring on my engine install, I seem to have lost the pics and videos I took before I removed it, (probably on a hard drive somewhere...).

I'm just checking with the experts before I rip it all apart,

would anyone happen to have a picture of where the starter motor wires go? Huh
(09-07-2023, 09:49 PM)nikmag1 Wrote: Hi all, I'm having a bit of an issue with the wiring on my engine install, I seem to have lost the pics and videos I took before I removed it, (probably on a hard drive somewhere...).

I'm just checking with the experts before I rip it all apart,

would anyone happen to have a picture of where the starter motor wires go? Huh

What vehicle?
PR
Ah, that would help, its a 1973 Kombi transporter, 1800, manual.
I'll stick some pics up when I can.
Bit technical but you can find your years wiring diagrams here.
TheSamba.com :: Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
If you can get access to a copy of Bentley Manual, the wiring diagrams are fairly good, albeit they focus on USA market vehicles. I am guessing the scanned diagrams found on the TheSamba website are from the Bentley Manual, or from the same common source? 
However the full Bentley Manual gives a lot more guidance on how to interpret the wiring diagrams. Particularly the later model 'Current Tracking' diagram system. 
Anyway - the starter motor is designated as item 'B' on these diagrams.

I have only worked with early Bay Kombis so I stand to be corrected here for late Bay vehicles.
But as a general rule this is how I think it works.
The solenoid on the Starter should have 2 terminals - labeled 30 and 50.

The '30' terminal should be connected to the positive terminal of the battery via a heavy gauge Black lead. There should also be a red (or red & white) cable going to the front dashboard / fuse box. Also, possibly a red cable going to the generator (although this may come off the battery) - and possibly other cables leading to other items requiring power, not via the ignition switch.

The '50' terminal should be connected to a red & black cable coming from the ignition switch (to energize the solenoid when cranking the engine). Also, possibly a cable going from 50 terminal to the Test Network Plug ?  

But I would suggest you are best to get access to the Bentley Manual, or find someone with a similar vintage Kombi and see how it is wired.
1971 Sopru aka Doob

Thanks for the advice guys, but I think my main problem is that I seem to have a broken wire or loose connection somewhere, I can get the engine to run if I bypass the bus's wires, (jump leads to starter motor direct and a push button starter.) at the moment, I can get the bus to turn over really slowly on the key.
It is a little hard to see from your photo, but it looks like there is a red (or red & black) electrical cable connected to the bolted solenoid terminal next to the starter motor. I am not an auto electrician but I do not think there should be any incoming electrical wires connected to this  bolted solenoid terminal.

The electrical wire coming from the ignition switch (on the steering column) should be attached to the push-on style connection on the solenoid. This should be a red & black (or red ) wire. If this wire is connected to the bolted solenoid terminal next to the starter motor, I think you will trying to supply cranking current via the ignition switch rather than the starter solenoid.   

Attached is a photo of my starter solenoid
The outer solenoid bolted connection has the black cable from the positive battery terminal and the red & white cable supplying power to the fuse box.
The push-on electrical connector has the red & black cable from the ignition switch and a gray wire going to the network plug.

For other general images of Kombi starter motor wiring - see
https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+kombi...k6YHyNs_iM

Cheers
Grant

1971 Sopru aka Doob
It was a bad earth to the body! cleaned up the connection with a wire brush and it started first turn of the key! just waiting on a clutch cable and I may be able to drive it out of the shed for the first time in 3 years..... fingers crossed... Smile
Gotta love a quick, easy fix!  Smile
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
New clutch cable and accelerator cable landed today Big Grin If everyone would be really helpful and cross your fingers for the rest of the week I may get this bus moving again!