Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G'day to everyone in Kombi land
Just a quick note to say hi to everyone. I have used this forum for years and love all the technical help that it has provided. A lot of talented people in this club that are very generous with their knowledge.  I  wont over share but i previously didnt have the computor skills to join and participate. It is true what they say "You meet the nicest people driving a volkswagen" I am the proud owner of a 1976 bay window fuel injected Kombi.  I have owned since 2004. The bus has quite a history. I was told it was originally sold in Sydney and fitted out by Sunliner conversions for the very first Sydney Caravan and camping Show where it went on display. Wondering if anybody out there may have worked there or has any knowlege of it. I hope to post some pictures soon.  I have been very lucky with the reliablity of this bus.It has never let me down. I have travelled the east coast of Australia with it chasing an endless summer and perfect waves. I am now based in Lawrence near Grafton and recently put it in to a mechanic, to only have the coil changed. Unfortunately the timing was altered which later resulted in a backfire that has destroyed the air flow sensor. I am hoping somebody out there in the club might have converted the fuel injected to carbies and are willing to sell there old air flow meter. Looking forward to going on some runs and meeting people. I feel like or all ready know a lot of you and your vehicles. Kind regards Crunchy.
(20-06-2023, 02:58 PM)Crunchy Wrote: Just a quick note to say hi to everyone. I have used this forum for years and love all the technical help that it has provided. A lot of talented people in this club that are very generous with their knowledge.  I  wont over share but i previously didnt have the computor skills to join and participate. It is true what they say "You meet the nicest people driving a volkswagen" I am the proud owner of a 1976 bay window fuel injected Kombi.  I have owned since 2004. The bus has quite a history. I was told it was originally sold in Sydney and fitted out by Sunliner conversions for the very first Sydney Caravan and camping Show where it went on display. Wondering if anybody out there may have worked there or has any knowlege of it. I hope to post some pictures soon.  I have been very lucky with the reliablity of this bus.It has never let me down. I have travelled the east coast of Australia with it chasing an endless summer and perfect waves. I am now based in Lawrence near Grafton and recently put it in to a mechanic, to only have the coil changed. Unfortunately the timing was altered which later resulted in a backfire that has destroyed the air flow sensor. I am hoping somebody out there in the club might have converted the fuel injected to carbies and are willing to sell there old air flow meter. Looking forward to going on some runs and meeting people. I feel like or all ready know a lot of you and your vehicles. Kind regards Crunchy.
Hi Crunchy,
G'day & welcome to KCA. I also have a fuel injected '76. Unfortunate with the backfire & yes I've been through a few Air Flow Meters when those who don't know use any throttle in the start sequence. Always best to let the sensors do their job.
Have you tried searching in USA for another AFM? They had FI for much longer than we did here.
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Welcome Crunchy, sounds like you got yourself a real gem. I look forward to seeing some photos
1967 Blue Bus Panelvan, 1976 Molly Sopru Campmobile, 1977 BayMonty Ute 
(20-06-2023, 03:41 PM)DavidH Wrote: Hi Crunchy,
G'day & welcome to KCA. I also have a fuel injected '76. Unfortunate with the backfire & yes I've been through a few Air Flow Meters when those who don't know use any throttle in the start sequence. Always best to let the sensors do their job.
Have you tried searching in USA for another AFM? They had FI for much longer than we did here.
Cheers

Thanks for the reply.  You wouldnt believe it but a truck driver delivered some water to my property and sighted my kombi in the shed. He actually worked at Sopru and said that he fitted out hundreds of kombis. I wonder if he did yours. Have you had the same problem? I found AFM in Canada but the $600 canadian pulled me up. Got some other irond in the fire down in Sydney. Thought i would try the KCA aswell. regards Crunchy
Welcome to KCA Crunchy!  Smile

Enjoy the ride………….  Wink
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(21-06-2023, 12:29 AM)Grantus Wrote: Welcome to KCA Crunchy!  Smile

Enjoy the ride………….  Wink

Thanks for the reply. Looki forward to some kombi runs once I get mine sorted.
G'day and welcome.

Jump in - dont be shy.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(20-06-2023, 07:39 PM)Crunchy Wrote: Thanks for the reply.  You wouldnt believe it but a truck driver delivered some water to my property and sighted my kombi in the shed. He actually worked at Sopru and said that he fitted out hundreds of kombis. I wonder if he did yours. Have you had the same problem? I found AFM in Canada but the $600 canadian pulled me up. Got some other irond in the fire down in Sydney. Thought i would try the KCA aswell. regards Crunchy

He may have done mine if he worked there in Oct 76. Good luck on the search Crunchy Wink . That's what I got used to paying the..... $600. They all behave differently within the FI system. Had 4 over 46yrs. Good luck with the search Cool.
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Welcome Crunchy to the KC Hope you enjoy tour Kombi wherever it takes you.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(22-06-2023, 08:19 AM)Wayne Murray Wrote: Welcome Crunchy to the KC Hope you enjoy tour Kombi wherever it takes you.

Hey Wayne. Thanks for saying g'day. Looking forward to chatting and talking all things kombi. Mine is a slow bus but a very fast bedroom!