Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1990 Whitestar - Alpenbliss
To go with the T3 DoKa posted yesterday, here is my fair-weather ride in Switzerland. The Swiss rules on historic registration are strict and bone stock is the expectation. Gunther is all original except for the Atiwe Kaseloch wheels I fitted (which have special approval for T3's in Germany) and were allowed onto my registration as the mechanic convinced the agency they were period-correct offerings (true, but in 14); also the braided brake lines for a bit more stop....which is still a spicy adventure on mountain passes. Like everywhere, smiles and waves abound.

He stays in the garage for the winter months and never sees salt. No rust and all original sealant (a few rubbers replaced for windows recently). Second owner with known provenance and full service history (Swiss delivery). Never misses a beat. Great for cruising...maybe a celebratory visit to Wolfsburg in honour of the 75th anniversary of VW in Switzerland (nuts to missing the Bulli parade...). 

Very nice….. Cool
Interesting you mention the Swiss requirements for Historic rego……
A friend of mine has just experienced the same thing in NSW. The requirements are tightening up considerably. EVERYTHING has to be year build specific and without modifications. Even the stereo head unit was knocked as it was too recent !
Those on Historic rego need to be aware that they could be in for a rough ride in the future. Lowered, narrowed, non stock carbs, non stock rims, enhanced engine etc. will all attract the ire of the Club Inspectors as these requirements are enforced.
To go back to full rego. then requires a full engineering report …….seats, electrical, wheels etc. are required to be signed off……
Not hysteria……this is actually happening and I think people need to be aware.

You have a great stable of vehicles !
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Nice. 
No issue with the body kit?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(01-06-2023, 07:24 AM)Oldman Wrote: Very nice….. Cool
Interesting you mention the Swiss requirements for Historic rego……
A friend of mine has just experienced the same thing in NSW. The requirements are tightening up considerably. EVERYTHING has to be year build specific and without modifications. Even the stereo head unit was knocked as it was too recent !
Those on Historic rego need to be aware that they could be in for a rough ride in the future. Lowered, narrowed, non stock carbs, non stock rims, enhanced engine etc. will all attract the ire of the Club Inspectors as these requirements are enforced.
To go back to full rego. then requires a full engineering report …….seats, electrical, wheels etc. are required to be signed off……
Not hysteria……this is actually happening and I think people need to be aware.
You have a great stable of vehicles !

I am currently working on historic rego for the DoKa and just noticed that recent change (seems in last few weeks - note it is DRAFT GUIDELINES and still under consultation https://www.nsw.gov.au/driving-boating-a...fety-items),

as I plan to put a GoWesty bigger brake kit on, replace rear drums with discs, lower to Carat/ Whitestar specs, and put period-correct (and TUV certified specifically for T3) Ronal R9 wheels on (to fit the brake kit). I really consider it a safety upgrade…the terror of brake fade even on moderate Alpine passes is enough to convince me that the safety of my family (and others) requires a more modern braking solution.

The alternative is the Classic Rego scheme, but as no compliance certificate is needed for above…seems like overkill not to focus on Historic rego. 
Watching with interest…… Wink
If an Engineer’s certification, for example on your brake mods., can amend the Historic requirements it could be an “out” / option for a lot of folk…..
Hope it works well for you !
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(01-06-2023, 08:38 AM)Barry Wrote: Nice. 
No issue with the body kit?

Not in Switzerland/ Europe where the Whitestar was a special edition production model. I see quite a few Bluestars around, but can't recall seeing a White since arriving.
(01-06-2023, 07:36 PM)Oldman Wrote: Watching with interest…… Wink
If an Engineer’s certification, for example on your brake mods., can amend the Historic requirements it could be an “out” / option for a lot of folk…..
Hope it works well for you !

I will advise! Purely for research purposes of course...
(01-06-2023, 09:04 PM)sealyb Wrote: I am currently working on historic rego for the DoKa and just noticed that recent change (seems in last few weeks - note it is DRAFT GUIDELINES and still under consultation https://www.nsw.gov.au/driving-boating-a...fety-items), 

as I plan to put a GoWesty bigger brake kit on, replace rear drums with discs, lower to Carat/ Whitestar specs, and put period-correct (and TUV certified specifically for T3) Ronal R9 wheels on (to fit the brake kit). I really consider it a safety upgrade…the terror of brake fade even on moderate Alpine passes is enough to convince me that the safety of my family (and others) requires a more modern braking solution. 

The alternative is the Classic Rego scheme, but as no compliance certificate is needed for above…seems like overkill not to focus on Historic rego. 

Another option would be to register it in the ACT, to an ACT address.

Both my T3’s have ACT plates, but rarely registered for 12 months. When the rego expires on an ACT vehicle, you can leave it up to 364 days in an unregistered state. As long as you go online within that period, and purchase some more rego, even just 3 months worth, no inspection or roadworthy is required, and the rego starts from the day you pay it. 

Would work well if you spend most of time away, and only want to drive it for a short period of time each year.

The other bonus, is it would have full registration, and none of the pitfalls or restrictions, of historic or classic rego, nor the drama of getting it back to full registration, from the historic or classic permit, if ever desired in the future.

Just another option, that’s not available in other states…. Rolleyes
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
My Yellow Star Smile

(23-06-2023, 07:06 PM)luckyphil Wrote: My Yellow Star Smile

I don’t think so Phil! The colour is just one part of the VW label.

This is NOT a factory Bluestar VW, yet it is blue!

88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab